Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@spootnik.org> on 2014/04/25 10:05:25 UTC

A plea for branching awsapi out of the main repo

Hi dev@,

The following is an overview in kilobytes of each of component in the
cloudstack code-base (as of master):

4 configure-info.in
4 LICENSE.header
4 NOTICE
4 README.md
4 version-info.in
8 build
8 INSTALL.md
8 maven-standard
12 agent-simulator
12 README.tools.md
20 developer
32 CHANGES
36 quickcloud
40 LICENSE
40 pom.xml
72 cloud-cli
76 debian
80 docs
104 awsapi-setup
108 packaging
288 python
400 agent
484 usage
660 vmware-base
1272 utils
1308 setup
1372 systemvm
1568 scripts
1864 client
1948 deps
2096 core
2700 framework
2968 services
4456 tools
6404 api
7360 test
7900 ui
8060 server
9036 engine
15976 plugins
45052 awsapi

As you can see awsapi accounts for more than a third of the total code base
of CS, mostly generated by the WSDL definition. Since there are now
(lighter) alternative implementations of the EC2 to CS API bits, it might
make sense to have a separate repo for this. This would make the repo a
less unwieldy than it is currently.

Thoughts on this ? Are there examples of other ASF projects where code is
split across several repos ?

  - pyr

Re: A plea for branching awsapi out of the main repo

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 04/25/2014 10:05 AM, Pierre-Yves Ritschard wrote:
> Hi dev@,
>
> The following is an overview in kilobytes of each of component in the
> cloudstack code-base (as of master):
>
> 4 configure-info.in
> 4 LICENSE.header
> 4 NOTICE
> 4 README.md
> 4 version-info.in
> 8 build
> 8 INSTALL.md
> 8 maven-standard
> 12 agent-simulator
> 12 README.tools.md
> 20 developer
> 32 CHANGES
> 36 quickcloud
> 40 LICENSE
> 40 pom.xml
> 72 cloud-cli
> 76 debian
> 80 docs
> 104 awsapi-setup
> 108 packaging
> 288 python
> 400 agent
> 484 usage
> 660 vmware-base
> 1272 utils
> 1308 setup
> 1372 systemvm
> 1568 scripts
> 1864 client
> 1948 deps
> 2096 core
> 2700 framework
> 2968 services
> 4456 tools
> 6404 api
> 7360 test
> 7900 ui
> 8060 server
> 9036 engine
> 15976 plugins
> 45052 awsapi
>

> As you can see awsapi accounts for more than a third of the total code base
> of CS, mostly generated by the WSDL definition. Since there are now
> (lighter) alternative implementations of the EC2 to CS API bits, it might
> make sense to have a separate repo for this. This would make the repo a
> less unwieldy than it is currently.
>
> Thoughts on this ? Are there examples of other ASF projects where code is
> split across several repos ?

I'm in favor of doing this. I think the awsapi is very big indeed.

There are multiple Apache projects which have multiple repos, that's not
a problem.

Wido