Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Maher SOUA <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/19 13:32:00 UTC

Adding support for Kotlin

Hi All,
This my first contribution, I am suggesting to add support for Kotlin, it
seems to be promising language that could be compiled to javascript, also
it is a really smart syntax, unfortunately I am not expert, but I really
want to dive more and may be that I could succeed to add it in royal.
I've tried it in android development, it is really easy and simple
language, Google didn't choose it by chance to be official language for
Android plateform, also that may help (I hope) make Royale more famous and
may attract more developer, I am still sad about flash and actionscript, I
hope that Royal wil be better winner successor.
What is your opinion about this idea?

Re: Adding support for Kotlin

Posted by Maher SOUA <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Carlos,
IMHO is that ActionScript is not too difference with TypeScript even the
Syntax is almost the same, but Kotlin bring a lot if new things with less
boiler plate, TypeScript is nice but Kotlin is much better even better than
Java comparing their simplicity. Also we can laverage all java library, I
use it with RxJava,
Some syntax that I found intereting fo example:
When we want to access functional argument we have just to add 'it' like
that
.methodName(callee(it)), switch case is just like this
When(value){
1 -> action()
5 -> otherAction()
"Test" -> newAction()
else -> default Action
}
There are many example, that may show how Kotli may be the winner specially
when we know that it could be used in many platform.

On Nov 19, 2018 5:16 PM, "Carlos Rovira" <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Maher,

thanks for joining us and express you interest in this kind of topics. I
think is interesting.

My first impressions about this are that would be great to add other
languages and make the compiler output SWF, JS, and the rest of targets we
want based on files coded in other languages.

About Kotlin, I only know about it from some colleagues in the industry,
and don't know how many people like about this, probably in order to make
this kind of addition officially, we should see if this gets traction in
this thread, then see if that could be possible (contributors with time and
real targets) that could start working on a separated branch, and of course
if all those is ok, cast a vote.

In my case:

1.- I'd like to know what has Kotlin as pros over actual AS3 and why we
should invest time on it (actually your time to contribute this)

2.- Another thing that we talked about it various times is the interest in
add TypeScript what seems (IMHO) a good target to pursue since is taking
over the front-end world quickly and soon will have many libraries that can
be used directly in Royale and the language has some key points like typed
and generics that many of us wants to use. From that point of view TS seems
more interesting than Kotlin, from what I know.

just a few thoughts about it

Thanks

Carlos

--