Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/07/25 01:20:59 UTC

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Rex Wang wrote:

>Alex Karasulu said:
>

>>Company A decides to integrate Apache Directory Server which
>>now uses JE into their product which they sell.
>>
>>Does the license for JE require company A to have to license
>>JE from SleepyCat?
>>

>Apache Directory Server is considered to be the application that
>uses Berkeley DB Java Edition, not Company A's product.
>Therefore, Company A can include the Apache Directory Server in
>their products, as permitted under the Apache Software License
>and the Sleepycat Software Open Source License, with no
>requirement for any other Sleepycat Software license.
>
>OpenLDAP uses the C version of Berkeley DB in precisely the same
>relationship.
>
>If Company A were to modify the Apache Directory Server, or to
>extract Java Edition code from ADS for use in another
>application, and wanted to redistribute the modified ADS or
>other application to a 3rd party, then Company A would either
>have to make their code available under some Open Source
>license, or purchase a commercial license from Sleepycat
>Software.
>
>There are several other Apache Software Foundation projects that
>use the Berkeley DB family of products.  Alex, it is our hope
>that you continue to use Berkeley DB Java Edition within
>Apache Directory Server.

The Apache Directory Server can be extended in several ways to offer
different kinds of products.  For example it can have modules added to
it or stored procedures added etc.  The question is, what constitutes
enough change to warrant having Company A have to license Berkeley DB
JE?  Are such changes those that alter existing Apache DS classes?

Alex