Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com> on 2004/05/20 20:24:07 UTC

InSpammerBlacklist question

Hello,

I am running JAMES 2.2.0RC3 on RedHat Linux 7.3 and loving every minute of it.

I want to try the InSpammerBlacklist matcher to do some spam filtering as well
as prevent people with dialup/dynamic IPs from sending me mail (figure that
will cut down on the amount of viruses people send me).

My question is, how does InSpammerBlacklist determine the sender's IP address?
I use a forwarding service to get mail sent to my domain routed through my
ISP's mail server.  Then I use Eric S. Raymond's Fetchmail program (not the
FetchMail included with JAMES but basically the same idea) to fetch the mail
from my ISP and route it through JAMES.  Since my mail goes through 2 "trusted"
SMTP servers on the way to JAMES (the one forwarding mail from my domain and my
ISP's mail server) will one of those IP addresses be mistaken as the sender?  I
looked at the source code for the InSpammerBlacklist matcher as well as the
source for MailImpl and am still not sure.

Anybody know for certain?

Thanks!
David

RE: InSpammerBlacklist question

Posted by David Nelson <da...@david-nelson.com>.
That's what I suspected.  Thanks for the fast and informative reply!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.