Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vara Prashanth <pr...@yahoo.com> on 2001/10/15 17:38:39 UTC

JDBC Problems....

Hello all:

I am trying to implement connection pooling in my applications and need some
help.

I started off by studying the small piece of code......

		Connection con = null;
		Statement stmt = null;
		try {
			Context ctx = new InitialContext();
			DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("jdbc/prash1");
			con = ds.getConnection("login", "pwd");

		} catch(java.lang.Exception e) {
			System.err.print(e.getClass().getName());
			System.err.println(e.getMessage());
		}

The basic question I had is what "jdbc/prash1" means? I used to use the
normal DriverManager class to get connected to a database. In that case, we
create a new System DSN mapping to the database. But now I am confused if it
the same in case of datasource too. If it is then what does "jdbc/" mean? Do
I have to map it someplace in web.xml/server.xml of tomcat? Can someone
please take some time to explain how I should be using datasource (if it has
anything to with tomcat)

Thanks
Prashanth

Re: JDBC Problems....(third posting)

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
"jdbc/prash1" is the JNDI name of the datasource.  It is not directly
related to ODBC or system dsn (if I understand the system dsn properly its
tied to ODBC right?).  If you have an ODBC database you will need to
create a datasource instance to access that, and have that placed in
JNDI.

Not sure where the exact doco on that is, but
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
should give you a start.  btw - the "jdbc/" is convention for logically
grouping resources.

hth
dim

Posted by Ylan Segal <yl...@digiworks.tv>.
JDBC problems don't have much to do with tomcat. Maybee you should look at
the documentation of the connection pooling package that you are using.

Good luck.

Ylan