Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net> on 2007/01/10 15:12:17 UTC

Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 14:12 +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> It turns out the main bugs he's referring to are:
>
> http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=23519 "new modperl breaks
> API again"
> http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=11896 "parameters missing
> with latest mod_perl"

Maybe I'm just being naive, but why would a CGI module like this ever
use the mod_perl API for anything?  It seems like it should just work
exactly the same way it does for CGI and if anything breaks it's a bug
in the mod_perl CGI emulation.

- Perrin

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.
On 10 Jan 2007, at 17:58, Randy Kobes wrote:
>> I started here because the bugs related to it not working with
>> mod_perl. So I figured I'd, you know, ask mod_perl people :)
>
> One place to perhaps start is the mod_perl tests. In
> particular, one could switch the t/modules/cgi*.t
> tests (and corresponding t/response/TestModules/cgi*.pm)
> to use CGI::Simple, rather than CGI, to test the
> compatibility. I had a quick look at this, and there
> seems to be still problems in this area.

Ah - I didn't check that MP tested CGI.pm. Thanks for the lead. I'll
investigate further.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2007, at 17:13, Michael Peters wrote:
>> Andy Armstrong wrote:
>>
>>> Part of my reason for posting is to try and work out whether anyone's
>>> actually using it.
>>
>> I'd say the user's of it on this list would be pretty
>> small. But I've heard it's popular for normal CGI folks
>> and people using FCGI since they can save on memory and
>> can't use the Apache::Request stuff.
>>
>> I'd try posting a query to perlmonks.
>
> I started here because the bugs related to it not working
> with mod_perl. So I figured I'd, you know, ask mod_perl
> people :)

One place to perhaps start is the mod_perl tests. In
particular, one could switch the t/modules/cgi*.t
tests (and corresponding t/response/TestModules/cgi*.pm)
to use CGI::Simple, rather than CGI, to test the
compatibility. I had a quick look at this, and there
seems to be still problems in this area.

--
best regards,
Randy Kobes

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.

Andy Armstrong wrote:

> Part of my reason for posting is to try and work out whether anyone's
> actually using it.

I'd say the user's of it on this list would be pretty small. But I've heard it's
popular for normal CGI folks and people using FCGI since they can save on memory
and can't use the Apache::Request stuff.

I'd try posting a query to perlmonks.

--
Michael Peters
Developer
Plus Three, LP

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.
On 10 Jan 2007, at 17:19, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> I still like the CGI::Simple is lighter weight, but it just didn't
> work
> well enough for me. (I'm sorry my memory doesn't recall the exact
> issues
>  anymore... it may have been related to file uploading.)

Ring any bells?

I've just been working with your test case this afternoon funnily
enough. I can see what it's doing wrong but the code is fragile
enough and the test coverage poor enough that I'm proceeding with
caution. If I'm going to fix it I need to beef the tests up first.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Mark Stosberg <ma...@summersault.com>.
Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007, at 17:05, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> Why would anyone use this instead of CGI.pm?
>
> If you expect me to justify it you've got the wrong guy Randal :)
>
> Ovid reckons people use it so I pitched in to try and fix it. The code
> is quite nasty in places - but I'll fix it if people like it for
> whatever reason.
>
> Part of my reason for posting is to try and work out whether anyone's
> actually using it.

I had tried it for the perceived performance benefits. It's been awhile,
so at this point I all recall that I had some strange issues with it,
and returned to use CGI.pm, which did not have the issues and worked
well enough.

I still like the CGI::Simple is lighter weight, but it just didn't work
well enough for me. (I'm sorry my memory doesn't recall the exact issues
 anymore... it may have been related to file uploading.)

  Mark

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by "JupiterHost.Net" <ml...@jupiterhost.net>.
>>> Why would anyone use this instead of CGI.pm?
>>

>> I like it because:
>>  - uploads are handled more intuitively IMHO
>>  - no HTML stuff (although CGI's HTML methods are pretty slick)
>>  - no function/method oddness
>>
>> Not sure about its mod_perl issues, I use it mostly under  persistent
>> perl as anormal CGI...
>

> Splendid. Well the first release I've made is on CPAN now and I'm  going
> to keep working on it to resolve the outstanding bugs and  generally
> clean the code up.

Nice, looks like we're in good hands :) Thanks Andy

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.
On 16 Jan 2007, at 16:45, Jiří Pavlovský wrote:
>> Do you still have those changes? I'd be interested to see a diff
>> against the released version if possible.
>
> Those were just Apache -> Apache2 renaming issues.

OK, I think I got all those, thanks.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

Re: Anyone using CGI::Simple?