Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> on 2020/02/06 01:46:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release 0.1.0

Before I make a [VOTE] thread, I'd like to get some feedback from our
mentors to make sure that things look proper.

The current HEAD of master is in a shape where I think we might be ready to
call a vote.

If you create an rc tag, like `git tag -s v0.1.0-rc.0` and then run `make
dist` you should end up with
`apache-annotator-0.1.0-rc.0-incubating.tar.gz` that contains an
`apache-annotator-0.1.0-incubating` directory with all version numbers set
to 0.1.0.

If you later add a release tag, like `git tag v0.1.0`, you can repeat `make
dist` and you should get an identical
`apache-annotator-0.1.0-incubating.tar.gz` that has the same checksums.

I believe the process goes something like this:

1. Release manager (me) tags and pushes v0.1.0-rc.0 to master
2. Release manager runs `make dist` and uploads the tarball, signature, and
checksum files to SVN at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/
3. Release manager starts a [VOTE] thread on dev@, waits for 72 hours
4. Release manager posts results of [VOTE]
5. If the [VOTE] passes, release manager moves the release artifacts to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/annotator/ and tags
and pushes the v0.1.0 tag on the same commit as the v0.1.0-rc.0 tag.

Does this seem all correct?

Just to note a few things that I've already checked:
1. Apache Rat finds no errors. I believe all license headers are in order.
2. The README contains a short disclaimer referencing the required
DISCLAIMER file.
3. The tarball has -incubating in its name, as an additional disclaimer.
4. The tarball is reproducible. It should be possible for anyone to clone
the repository, check out the release candidate tag, run `make dist` and
get the same tarball with the same checksums as the proposed release.
5. I've uploaded a KEYS file to the release directory.

Regards,
Randall

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 0.1.0

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

> On 21 Feb 2020, at 10:19, Tommaso Teofili <to...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> sorry for the very late reply, but everything sounds good to me.

Urgh.  I knew folks are looking to a release, but I'd forgotten this particular thread.

This is precisely the kind of issue where discussion on IRC is more likely
than email to prod me into action.  I'd better take a look!

--
Nick Kew

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 0.1.0

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@apache.org>.
sorry for the very late reply, but everything sounds good to me.

Regards,
Tommaso

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 0.1.0

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.