[users@httpd] Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

[root@s1 RPMS]# rpm -Uhv httpd-2.2.3-1.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libpq.so.3 is needed by httpd-2.2.3-1.i686
    Suggested resolutions:
        /home/buildcentos/CENTOS/en/4.0/i386/CentOS/RPMS/postgresql-libs-7.4.13-2.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm

I looked at the spec files I cant find anything about postgres but
like you see here, when I try to install it, it says it needs
libpq.so.3

Seems very weird to me :P

Thank you.

[users@httpd] Re: Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

Very weird, I found if you have postgresql-libs installed when you
compile apr or apr-utils, httpd will automatically depend on libpg.

I solved this by removing postgresql-libs recompiled apr and
apr-utils. Installed them and recompiled httpd. No error now!

Re: [users@httpd] Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Friday 08 September 2006 22:35, mailing lists wrote:
> Can someone explain me why Apache 2.2.3 requires libpq.so (postgres) ?

It doesn't.  PostgreSQL support is optional.

> [root@s1 RPMS]# rpm -Uhv httpd-2.2.3-1.i686.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by httpd-2.2.3-1.i686

So that particular package requires it.  That's the packager's decision.

When you install a package, you accept whatever decisions the packager
has made on your behalf.  I think this packager's decision to include
postgresql support makes sense, given that the apr-util build (which
is the relevant bit) doesn't (yet) support loading the pgsql driver
dynamically.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674