Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/04/13 17:19:10 UTC

OGNL Proposal: issue resolved

Hi again lawyers,
just to follow-up the discussion, OGNL is owned by Marc Andrew
Davidson, that's the original author, that started OGNL development in
the far 1998.

Then, it was moved to OpenSimphony only in the 2004 - later moved to
its own domain.

I'd say that nobody can claim OGNL trademark unless Drew, that has
been included in the Initial Committers list, and has donated OGNL
codebase signing the SoftwareGrant.

Sounds like the proposal is almost ready to be submitted, what do you think?
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: OGNL Proposal: issue resolved

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Simo,

It looks to me like everything is in place to propose incubation.

The software grant is already filed (which is not even a requirement
to start incubation).

I don't see any issues either with the name OGNL as the project name,
should the project decide to use it. Aside from being unpronounceable
(always a good sign) it's clear to me that the owner of the name is
Marc An(Drew) Davidson, and he's granted Apache a standard license.

Best regards,

Craig

On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi again lawyers,
> just to follow-up the discussion, OGNL is owned by Marc Andrew
> Davidson, that's the original author, that started OGNL development in
> the far 1998.
>
> Then, it was moved to OpenSimphony only in the 2004 - later moved to
> its own domain.
>
> I'd say that nobody can claim OGNL trademark unless Drew, that has
> been included in the Initial Committers list, and has donated OGNL
> codebase signing the SoftwareGrant.
>
> Sounds like the proposal is almost ready to be submitted, what do
> you think?
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/

Craig L Russell