Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> on 2003/05/09 09:03:19 UTC

URLs of maven Documentation

Hi,
could you recommend me any site for maven documentation?
I've tried to find many thinks in maven.apache.org,
but IMHO the site is not well maintained. There are missing links,
properties, goals are not documented good and so on.
I'd like to learn maven, but I have no time to learn from maven and
jelly sources.
Thank you very much,
--
Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Rafal Krzewski wrote:
>>So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
>
> A rather cool one, I'd say. And you only need to get a grip on about
> 20 tags that are used for I/O, XML manipulation and flow control.

I sent the message early, sorry.

You need to learn Jelly anyway to use Maven effectively. You can get
much from plugins using properties + calling goals from the commandline,
but the real power is in writing your own goals using maven maven.xml -
for repetitive work automation and customizing and extending what the
plugins do.

R.

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.
Aslak Hellesoy wrote:
>>In one example I found <java/> tag, it should (seems to) be the
>>appropriate solution for me. I'll test it. But I'm not able to find this
>>tag in maven documentation.
>>

> Maven/Jelly wraps around Ant. So each time you see an XML tag in a maven.xml
> or some other jelly script *without* a namespace or *with* the ant:
> namespace, you can be almost sure it's an Ant tag.
>
> In other words, <java/> is documented over at http://ant.apache.org/
>
> Aslak

WHOW!!! Where can I find this very helpful paragraph?

So now it's very easy and clear - thanks very much.

Posted by Aslak Hellesoy <as...@netcom.no>.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> wrote on 15/05/2003 06:45:34 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >>
> >>Creating abc.jar directly without necessity of property from directory

> >>com.foo.a.b.c or from a place in plugin.xml?
> >

> > I'm not sure what that means. Can you restate this?
> > I cant see how Maven stops you from "creating a jar" without a
"property
> > from directory com.foo.a.b.c"???
>
> Name of the directory is selfdescribing (for such purpose), so why to
> create a specific property which contains a string, which can be
> obtained from the directory name? Or is it possible to set property in
I don't get you. Maybe you can spell it out a little simpler for me.

> such case:
> <property name="jar.name">
>      <xml-content file="plugin.xml xpath="/plugin/jar.name"/>
> </property>
This is definitely possible using jelly tags.

> > have a

> >>I have a jar with library. I have to patch the library for some of my
> >>projects, different patch per each project. I have to replace the
> >>original class by patched one in classpath for compilation. Do you
know
> >>how to solve it?

> > See http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/unzip.html,
> > http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/copy.html and
> > http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/zip.html for the appropriate
ant
> > tags.
>
> It's simple how to use it by repackaging the jar. But it is a great
> unnecessary overhead.
> I'd like something like:
> <dependency>
>      <dependOn>id_of_dependency</dependOn>
>      <dependOnProject>id_of_project_if_more_subprojects_are
> supported</dependOnProject>
>      <dependOnThisProject/>
> </>
I don't get how this is different from
<dependencies>
  <dependency>
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

other than saving you time typing..??
> It doesn't require repackaging, it only changes order of pathelements in

> 'classpath'.
Which classpath?? What are these being used for? compilation, running,
testing?? Do you mean the list of dependencies?

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.

Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> wrote on 14/05/2003 04:44:22 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >>
> >>Me too and I've done it, but it cannot work on Windows with properly
> >>installed cygwin :-(
> >
> > It works fine for me here. Got an example.
>
> In one example I found <java/> tag, it should (seems to) be the
> appropriate solution for me. I'll test it. But I'm not able to find this

> tag in maven documentation.

I think someone pointed out it's an Ant tag. See
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/java.html for more info.

> > There is no eclipse-plugin plugin, but what part of packaging an
eclipse
> > plugin can't be done with the jar plugin?
>
> Creating abc.jar directly without necessity of property from directory
> com.foo.a.b.c or from a place in plugin.xml?

I'm not sure what that means. Can you restate this?
I cant see how Maven stops you from "creating a jar" without a "property
from directory com.foo.a.b.c"???

> > Which 'classpath' are you talking about here? Maven doesn't really
have a
> > global 'classpath'.
>
> I have a jar with library. I have to patch the library for some of my
> projects, different patch per each project. I have to replace the
> original class by patched one in classpath for compilation. Do you know
> how to solve it?
See http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/unzip.html,
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/copy.html and
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/zip.html for the appropriate ant
tags.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> wrote on 09/05/2003 10:16:01 PM:
>>>Many times I have just used simple unix scripting to add building
>>>functionality to a group of maven projects. Seems to work okay.
>>
>>Me too and I've done it, but it cannot work on Windows with properly
>>installed cygwin :-(
>
> It works fine for me here. Got an example.

I'm sorry, WITHOUT had to be written instead of WITH :-(

>>So I'd like to do some simple thinks with maven, such as start built
>>server, package eclipse plug-in with tools communicating with the
>>server, put my built classes into the classpath before the libraries
>>specified in dependencies. And I'm not able to do it now :-(
>
> Why not? Is this missing functionality in one of the maven plugins?
>
> Which server are you trying to start?

My own server built by maven :-)

In one example I found <java/> tag, it should (seems to) be the
appropriate solution for me. I'll test it. But I'm not able to find this
tag in maven documentation.

> There is no eclipse-plugin plugin, but what part of packaging an eclipse
> plugin can't be done with the jar plugin?

Creating abc.jar directly without necessity of property from directory
com.foo.a.b.c or from a place in plugin.xml?

> Which 'classpath' are you talking about here? Maven doesn't really have a
> global 'classpath'.

I have a jar with library. I have to patch the library for some of my
projects, different patch per each project. I have to replace the
original class by patched one in classpath for compilation. Do you know
how to solve it?

I'll be very very glad.

>>And Maven documentation? I'll enhance it after I finish my project.
>>Documentation is the most important thing for all tools.
>
> I'd love to see some suggestions and changes to the existing docs, however
> a lot of what is possible means understanding the way the tool works, not
> necessarily the scripting language used under the covers.

You will see. Certainly.
--
Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)
http://www.systinet.com

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> wrote on 09/05/2003 10:16:01 PM:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Many times I have just used simple unix scripting to add building
> > functionality to a group of maven projects. Seems to work okay.
>
> Me too and I've done it, but it cannot work on Windows with properly
> installed cygwin :-(
It works fine for me here. Got an example.

> So I'd like to do some simple thinks with maven, such as start built
> server, package eclipse plug-in with tools communicating with the
> server, put my built classes into the classpath before the libraries
> specified in dependencies. And I'm not able to do it now :-(
Why not? Is this missing functionality in one of the maven plugins?

Which server are you trying to start?
There is no eclipse-plugin plugin, but what part of packaging an eclipse
plugin can't be done with the jar plugin?
Which 'classpath' are you talking about here? Maven doesn't really have a
global 'classpath'.

> And Maven documentation? I'll enhance it after I finish my project.
> Documentation is the most important thing for all tools.
I'd love to see some suggestions and changes to the existing docs, however
a lot of what is possible means understanding the way the tool works, not
necessarily the scripting language used under the covers.

> Have a nice weekend,
Thanks, it was great :)

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Many times I have just used simple unix scripting to add building
> functionality to a group of maven projects. Seems to work okay.

Me too and I've done it, but it cannot work on Windows with properly
installed cygwin :-(

So I'd like to do some simple thinks with maven, such as start built
server, package eclipse plug-in with tools communicating with the
server, put my built classes into the classpath before the libraries
specified in dependencies. And I'm not able to do it now :-(

So when I will be, I'll be very happy. Currently I made some workarounds
and I'm going to download jelly documentation to print it and study
during weekend.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Oto tapik Buchta wrote:

> Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> > I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
> > sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
> > hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
> > documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
> > plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.
> >
> > Have fun!
>
> So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((

I actually disagree with the need to learn jelly. I am still clueless
about jelly [it's high on my to-learn list I promise] but use and admin
Maven every day. I have been a user of Maven since the beginning though,
so I have picked things up over time.

There are various articles out there on Maven, which are still applicable
to the current version. Probably the most confusing thing about Maven is
that the online documentation is for CVS HEAD and not for the latest
release, however it's rare for the documentation to actually change much
until near the end of a development cycle so what they say is b10 is
actually the b9 documentation. There is something larger called reactor
which wraps around maven that I've still not got my head around, or found
any kind of article on yet.

Many times I have just used simple unix scripting to add building
functionality to a group of maven projects. Seems to work okay.

Hen

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mh...@kremvax.net>.
On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 13:06, Oto tapik Buchta wrote:
> But I hate a software (all kinds of software, commercial, shareware,
> free), which claims that it is easy to use (see maven web site and its
> Maven&Ant comparision), but you MUST learn new SCRIPTING (not only the
> syntax of configuration) language.

I'd be surprised if you can find *any* build tool that will do the kind
of things you describe as "simple" ("start built server, package eclipse
plug-in" etc.) without requiring you to learn and use a scripting
language.

For simple and generic tasks, such as building a project that conforms
to the directory layout that maven recommends, maven will work with a
purely declarative description of your project. If you were using Ant
you'd need to write a build.xml file just to get it to compile a source
file, which I'd class as scripting.

Once you step outside the territory covered by maven's plugins you are
going to have to do some scripting, but if the scripting you write is
generic enough there's a good chance it can migrate into a plugin and
leave your project description completely declarative (which is as it
should be IMHO).

Yes, maven's diagnostics are not helpful and the documentation of the
scripting interface could do with some work, but even in its present
form it can save you from having to do *any* scripting for projects with
a simple jar file as the resulting artifact. That, for me, is worth a
lot.

-Mark.

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 14:06, Oto tapik Buchta wrote:
> Aslak Hellesoy wrote:
> >>
> >>So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((

I was able to start using maven without jelly-knowledge, just from the
given doc on the maven site.
To get back to the point, what excatly was the problem?
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>>But I hate a software (all kinds of software, commercial, shareware,
>>free), which claims that it is easy to use (see maven web site and its
>>Maven&Ant comparision), but you MUST learn new SCRIPTING (not only the
>>syntax of configuration) language.
>
> You don't HAVE to learn jelly. Tell me which of maven's features you want
> to use that requires you write Jelly code??

I've received the requirement from somebody (I've forgotten his name) at
the beginning of the thread ;-)

>>Is it clear for you?
>>
>>So I've made an assumption that maven is easy to use when you are
>>familiar with jelly. So I'm going to learn jelly to be able to work with
>

>>maven.
>

> Nope. Maven is easy to use without learning Jelly. Please give some
> examples so we can understand a bit better?

I have not started to learn jelly yet. Please wait.
--

Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com> wrote on 09/05/2003 10:06:39 PM:

> Aslak Hellesoy wrote:
> >>
> >>So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
> >
> > Not being keen on learning new things and using beta open source
software is
> > an interesting combination. Good luck.
>
> I'm a Linux user for more than 8 years.
>
> I use almost free (not only open source, see http://www.fsf.org)
software.

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.

Posted by Aslak Hellesoy <as...@netcom.no>.

Posted by Oto tapik Buchta <ta...@systinet.com>.

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Matz wrote:
> That's good news - I feared the project would be dead 'cause the last Beta
> is from September 2002.

Dead? No way! And I think you don't have up-to-date information. Last
properly announced beta was Beta-8, on February 12, 2003, and we had
Beta-9 since then, but I don't know exact date.

> How far away is maven-new?

I'd estimate 1-3 months. I think Maven head should have Beta-10, or
even Beta-11 before maven-new is (beta) released to keep
CVS/bootstrap/breakage shy users with latest and greatest plugins.

> Is there a project-website somewhere?

I don't think there is. You can check out maven-new module from apache
CVS and watch the progress if you want.

R.

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Matz <ma...@tricoder.net>.
Waaaah!
Forget my comments - I mistook maven it with "middlegen", which's mailing
list I subscribed, too =).

throw new CaffeineDepletedException("Context system failure.");-)

Matz

I scribbled:

Posted by Matz <ma...@tricoder.net>.

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
> It would be great though, to have some documentation explaining the main
> flow of execution and (main) available context variables, so that
> developpers can have a quick insight, and know what the original developers
> had in mind instead of guessing for it. I think a few good (javadoc) package
> descriptions would do the job.

I don't think that there is any good chance for that. Current HEAD
works, but it is so flawed internally, that the core developers would
probably consider documenting the internals a waste on effort.
Their spirit is turned towards maven-new and they'd be happy to leave
the wreckage behind. This is open source, hate it, or love it...
Maven-new will provide more solid and well defined environment
for existing Jelly plugins, and much better environment for creating
new plugins in pure java, jython, you-name-it in the future.
I don't recall the exact quote, but Jason said something like
"you'll be able to learn Maven internals in a day" when manven-new
will be ready.

Existing maven is reasonably useable in most common cases. If you want
to hack and explore, good docs would just be spoiling the fun, IMHO ;-)

R.

RE: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Eelco,

Feel free to send doco patches as you progress... (it isn't much work!
;-)).

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com>.
wrote:
> It would be great though, to have some documentation
> explaining the main
> flow of execution and (main) available context
> variables, so that
> developpers can have a quick insight, and know what
> the original developers
> had in mind instead of guessing for it. I think a
> few good (javadoc) package
> descriptions would do the job.

I agree  that learning maven is hard  when you start
it.
But working maven setup for some OS project is great -

everything works like charm.

Now I would not like to miss maven in may daily
developer job. But I'm in happy position -. I'm
project leader, and I'm responsible fot tool choice
and process organisation. And believe me - if you
learned maven. it's easier to organize development
process for
agile and spatially distributed team.

I do not have to worry that your partners from other
company have outdated jars or wrong version -
if build goes bad - just checkout fresh sources
and do clean rebuild....

However, main problem of maven is that error
information is not easily available - you can not easy
say where shit happened in jelly script.
And what jelly script it was :)

regards,

=====
Konstantin Priblouda ( ko5tik )    Freelance Software developer
< http://www.pribluda.de > < play java games -> http://www.yook.de >
< render charts online -> http://www.pribluda.de/povray/ >

RE: URLs of maven Documentation

> could you recommend me any site for maven documentation?
> I've tried to find many thinks in maven.apache.org,
> but IMHO the site is not well maintained. There are missing links,
> properties, goals are not documented good and so on.
> I'd like to learn maven, but I have no time to learn from maven and
> jelly sources.

I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.

Have fun!

R.

PS. Documentation fixes/additions are more than welcome!

Re: URLs of maven Documentation

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.