Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/28 12:02:36 UTC

Tomcat JDBC Pool in Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x

Hi to all,

I'm currently experimenting various DBCP pools for Tomcat and wonder
why Filip "jdbc-pool" is not bundled with Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x ?

Also, could it be deployed to Maven repo so it could be used and
deployed more easily ?

Regards

Re: Tomcat JDBC Pool in Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> I can run a vote for a release, people just need to check it out, and then
> we can release it.

+1

> Personally I like to see it as default for Tomcat 7, as it offers much
> enhancements, and little disadvantages over dbcp
> the code base is so small, that the interest in working on it, makes it a
> bit harder

Filip, will you also produce a Maven artifact ?

Re: Tomcat JDBC Pool in Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/10/2010 11:02, Henri Gomez wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I'm currently experimenting various DBCP pools for Tomcat and wonder
> why Filip "jdbc-pool" is not bundled with Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x ?

Several reasons:

1. It isn't a 100% compatible drop-in replacement. There are some
features in Commons DBCP that jdbc-pool doesn't provide.

2. Every time Filip tried to get votes for a release (and the one time I
did) the release failed to collect sufficient votes.

There is nothing stopping you using it. Just set the factory attribute
for the resource.

> Also, could it be deployed to Maven repo so it could be used and
> deployed more easily ?

No. Not until such time as it has an official release. (That doesn't
stop it being added to the ASF snapshot repo).

I would also add:
- SpringSource is using it as the default pool in tc Server. There have
been a few bugs but it looks stable to me.
- Commons is currently re-writing Pool and DBCP and using jdbc-pool as
the basis.

Mark

Re: Tomcat JDBC Pool in Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/10/28 Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>:
> Hi to all,
>
> I'm currently experimenting various DBCP pools for Tomcat and wonder
> why Filip "jdbc-pool" is not bundled with Tomcat 6.0.x / 7.0.x ?

It cannot be distributed, because there are no official releases of it yet.

There were several candidate builds, but none gathered enough votes.
See [VOTE] threads on dev@

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko