Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/06 16:38:34 UTC

Any reason HA can not be used with baremetal?

Does it matter whether Offer HA is checked when creating a compute offering
for use with a bare metal deployment? My understanding of HA is that it
will restart a VM on another host in the same zone if the VM crashes. In
the case of bare metal, instead of a VM, we have a baremetal instance, one
per machine. Would checking Offer HA mean that if a bare metal host
crashes, another baremetal instance would be created on a different host in
the zone? Has anyone tried / tested this scenario?

Jessica T.

Re: Any reason HA can not be used with baremetal?

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
youre probably not technically allowed to add shared storage to bare metal
hosts... at least not at this moment. so daves assertion about the
assumption and my irrelevant comment are correct, IMO. waiting for frank
for the definitive answer on this, since he implemented the feature
originally and is working on the modern bare metal.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Jessica Tomechak <jessica.tomechak@gmail.com

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
I dont think there is a meaningful way to determine the host state in a
bare metal instance without writing a guest specific client/agent. IPMI
when queried will just let you know the chassis' power state, which isnt
very useful. To my knowledge HA and bare metal dont work together at the
moment.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Jessica Tomechak <jessica.tomechak@gmail.com