Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jim Reynolds <ji...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 14:49:11 UTC

URL Submission To Search Engines With Struts

Hello,

I have been having trouble getting the Search Engines to index my site
properly. My old site was just JSP model 1, and I would just submit
the index.html page.

Since I recrated the site with struts, I now immediately go from that
index.html page to a forward to welcome.do which then does some
business logic, and eventually forwards to a jsp page with dynamic
navs, etc.

Does anyone know which page I need to submit when I am doing this type
of immediate forwarding?

Any help would be appreciated, or insights.

Regards

Re: URL Submission To Search Engines With Struts

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
I would suggest the welcome.do
Also, take a look at http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Robert Stevens wrote:
>   Where can I read about how to create a "suffix mapping extension"?

The Struts documentation?

When you configure the Struts servlet you tell it to use either prefix
or suffix mapping. The default suffix mapping is *.do; if you're
currently mapping to *.do it'll be there in your web.xml.

Bear in mind that if you are serving a mix of static and dynamic content
this might not be a good answer.

Dave

Re: URL Submission To Search Engines With Struts

Posted by Robert Stevens <wr...@yahoo.com>.
Dave,

  Where can I read about how to create a "suffix mapping extension"?

  Regards,

  Robert Stevens

Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
  Robert Stevens wrote:
> Figure out how to make the pages you want spidered to end with .htm or .html extensions.
>
> To do this you may need to write a servlet that takes requests and maps them to the correct struts pages.

... or just use .htm[l] as your suffix mapping extension. Seems much...
cleaner.

Dave

Re: URL Submission To Search Engines With Struts

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Posted by Robert Stevens <wr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jim,

  Search engines do not like dynamic URLs. If they refer their search engine customers to a dynamic page, they can't be sure its content will be the same as when they spidered it. Some won't index dynamic pages. Others may take points away.

  Figure out how to make the pages you want spidered to end with .htm or .html extensions.

  To do this you may need to write a servlet that takes requests and maps them to the correct struts pages.

  Best Regards,

  Robert Stevens
  http://www.LocalPlans.com
  http://www.WriteExpress.com