Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/02/16 22:44:58 UTC

branch-2.0 usage past 2.0 release, and release plans

Hi.
Hive 2.0 having been released, branch-2.0 is now open, but should only
include commits for a hypothetical Hive 2.0.1 bug fix release. As far as I
understand, I will be the RM for all such dot-dot releases for 2.0.
Time-wise, 2.0.1 will be released based on the number and impact of the
bugs found and proposed for inclusion.

master should have the commits intended for the next 2.X feature release,
namely Hive 2.1.
I wonder, given the nature of Hive 2, if we should consider higher cadence
for Hive 2 feature releases now that the first one is out. As usual, each
dot release will have a separate RM, so perhaps we should just allow
people to release when they are willing to take on the work, with some
reasonable minimum time between releases (like a month or two).
Thoughts?