Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Lodgen, Brad" <Br...@centurylink.com> on 2014/10/30 17:01:21 UTC

ActiveMQ "inactive for longer than X ms - removing ..."

I'm still learning tunables in activemq. Right now, I'm trying to tune and troubleshoot my environment to get rid of the numerous activemq.log entries showing "Inactive for longer than X ms - removing ...". I currently have the timeout set to 60000ms, but the messages I'm sending normally respond in less than 10 seconds. Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting and/or tuning process to follow to diagnose and fix these messages?

Re: ActiveMQ "inactive for longer than X ms - removing ..."

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Per the documentation in the link from my first email, you'll see that
message when a destination is removed because it has been inactive (empty)
for the inactiveTimeoutBeforeGC period.  So if you're getting that message,
it means that your destination has been empty for 60 seconds.

This is entirely expected behavior for your configuration, and nothing
you've said so far indicates that there's anything to troubleshoot.  Unless
you've got something that indicates that messages are going outstanding
that you didn't include in your original email?

To be crystal-clear, the log lines are not in and of themselves an
indication that "messages are going outstanding", though if there was some
bottleneck somewhere else in your system and you weren't seeing messages
come out the far end, the lack of messages flowing through the destination
could cause it to be considered inactive and to be GC'ed.  But in that
scenario, those log lines are a secondary symptom of, not a cause of, the
underlying problem.  And so far you haven't told us anything that indicates
that this is your scenario.

So if you don't have some other indication that messages are somehow
failing to be delivered within your system, and all you want is to not have
these lines in your logs, your options are:

   1. Increase the rate at which you send messages to that destination, to
   ensure that you never have a 60-second interval with no messages enqueued.
   2. Increase the timeout to ensure that you don't delete destinations
   until they've been empty for a longer period of time.
   3. Turn off the feature, and leave inactive destinations on the broker.
   4. Turn down logging so you don't have your log spammed when inactive
   destinations are removed.
   5. Leave things as they are and ignore these lines in your logs.

Obviously there are trade-offs about whether you want to do this GCing of
inactive destinations and how often, so the right option from the five I
listed will depend on your use case.

Posted by "Lodgen, Brad" <Br...@centurylink.com>.
Tim,

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.