Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> on 2017/01/16 01:48:49 UTC

[IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Commit to review is here:

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=2fd74ac6d4747b11d50b78965f0d2c229fb46773>

If no one objects until Thursday, 19th, 2017, I'll merge it to master.

Christian

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.
Awesome, thanks!

> Am 01/25/17 um 23:52 schrieb Christian Schulte:

> integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=2fd74ac6d4747b11d50b78965f0d2c
> 229fb46773>

> >> I just rebased the branches against current master as of today. If the
> >> build runs through successfully, I'll merge to master. Final commit is:
> >>
> >> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
> integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=2fd74ac6d4747b11d50b78965f0d2c
> 229fb46773>
> >>
> >> Corresponding to the following change in the core:
> >>
> >> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=
> 1cdd0c2be545200a11d74c1055dcd0b16d96adc3>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> > To clarify: It won't be possible to run the non-updated (tagged?) core
> > ITs against Maven >= 3.5.0. This is what made us reset the branches. You
> > need to review this, if you are going to run the non-updated ITs against
> > what will be voted for release.
> >
> > @Anton Tanasenko:
> > If what I just wrote is incorrect, please comment here. Thank you.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Merged to master.

Anton.

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/25/17 um 23:52 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> Am 01/25/17 um 23:44 schrieb Christian Schulte:
>> Am 01/16/17 um 02:48 schrieb Christian Schulte:
>>> Commit to review is here:
>>>
>>> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=2fd74ac6d4747b11d50b78965f0d2c229fb46773>
>>>
>>> If no one objects until Thursday, 19th, 2017, I'll merge it to master.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> I just rebased the branches against current master as of today. If the
>> build runs through successfully, I'll merge to master. Final commit is:
>>
>> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=2fd74ac6d4747b11d50b78965f0d2c229fb46773>
>>
>> Corresponding to the following change in the core:
>>
>> <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=1cdd0c2be545200a11d74c1055dcd0b16d96adc3>
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> To clarify: It won't be possible to run the non-updated (tagged?) core
> ITs against Maven >= 3.5.0. This is what made us reset the branches. You
> need to review this, if you are going to run the non-updated ITs against
> what will be voted for release.
>
> @Anton Tanasenko:
> If what I just wrote is incorrect, please comment here. Thank you.
>
> Regards,

Merged to master.

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/20/17 um 00:30 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> Am 01/20/17 um 00:09 schrieb Anton Tanasenko:
>> New ITs should run successfully against 3.3.9 and 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT+changes.
>> It doesn't make sense to test a feature which is not in.
>
> The Maven core master branch of the maven-jenkinsfile job is at
> 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT. If the updated ITs are run (from the MNG-5958 branch)
> against that master branch (without the MNG-5958 changes) instead of the
> MNG-5958 branch, the ITs would fail. That would be expected. Showing the
> updated ITs do run successfully against 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT means they need
> to run from the MNG-5958 branch against the core MNG-5958 branch. If we
> want to show that the updated ITs still run successfully against 3.3.9
> in addition, we would need to add that to the pipeline (run the updated
> ITs from the MNG-5958 branch against Maven 3.3.9 instead of
> 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT). That would make sense. I would not mind if this job
> takes 3 days to complete.
>
> Regards,

While at it: Adding the plugin ITs to that pipeline also makes a lot of
sense. So that the core integration testing ITs need to succeed and all
plugin ITs also need to succeed. There is this minor issue that you will
build the trunk of the plugins for this to have an easy setup. Otherwise
you would need to update that Jenkinsfile whenever a new plugin is
released to the most recent tag. Well. Maybe all released versions of
all plugins. I also would not mind if this job takes a whole month to
complete. Hmm. Ok. That'd be a bit too long.

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

<https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-jenkinsfile/job/MNG-5958-jenkinsfile/>

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Ok in that case create a throwaway fork of your branch with changes that
uses the changed integration tests

If that passes we can throw away the throwaway branch and merge both.

(Need for throwaway branch will go away soon... I'm just trying to bash
bugs in updates to Jenkins plugins to enable the feature we require)

On Thu 19 Jan 2017 at 23:09, Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> New ITs should run successfully against 3.3.9 and 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT+changes.
>
> It doesn't make sense to test a feature which is not in.

> > Am 01/19/17 um 13:06 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > > Ideal would be to create a *new throw-away branch* that is forked from
>
> > > current master and just changes the itBranch in the Jenkinsfile to the
>
> > > integration test branch you want to merge.
>

> > To verify the changes to the ITs are working without any changes to the
>
> > core? Verify the new ITs can be run successfully without any changes in
>
> > the core? This won't work because the updated ITs are testing the
>
> > updated behaviour which would not be there. The added ITs would fail
>
> > without the corresponding changes. Running the updated core against the
>
> > updated ITs is the only way to show the ITs can be run successfully.

> Regards,
>
> Anton.
>
> --
Sent from my phone

Re: [IT MNG-5958 - Take 2]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Ideal would be to create a *new throw-away branch* that is forked from
current master and just changes the itBranch in the Jenkinsfile to the
integration test branch you want to merge.

If those integration tests do not pass on master then that is a different
story.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
This will all be easier once JENKINS-40906 is fixed fully and available on
builds.apache.org

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.