Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2009/02/06 17:36:17 UTC

Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to step back from the current Maven 2.1.0-M* release plan for a
second and reassess our progress on the issues we were planning as the
centerpiece for each release.

I've been trying to match up the milestone issues found on
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.1.0+Release+Plan with the
actual progress in JIRA, and what I'm finding is quite interesting.

First and foremost, if you ignore the milestone headings and take a look
at the overall progress on issues listed on that page, we've actually
knocked out most of the major issues (that don't still have significant
design work left to be done). If you look at the remaining issues, they
are in a couple of different states:

1. Implemented but not adequately tested, or else in need of a soak
period (parallel downloads, doxia).

2. Implemented in a first pass, but without a clear consensus that the
design is complete (PGP and Auto-Parent versioning, though I can't find
this one at the moment). In the case of Auto-Parent versioning, I
thought I remembered that this one had some additional issues with
current use cases, but I may not be up to date on that conversation.

In light of the above, along with the good stability we've seen in the
first milestone release, I'd *much* prefer pushing toward a release of
2.1.0-final. We've seen several cases where people are prevented from
using the 2.1.0-M1 release simply because of the "M1" at the end of the
version...which ignores its reliability completely.

If we can take care of a few tasks like fixing/downgrading/whatever the
wagon version, and cleaning up some of the low-hanging fruit currently
in the 2.1.0-M3 bucket like improving logging...then I think we're clear
to release 2.1.0 final.

At that point, we can make plans for a relatively fast release of 2.1.1
for the higher-risk issues that are sitting in the 2.1.0-M* buckets
now...possibly parallel artifact downloads if we can ever get test
coverage for that.

Looking over the release plan and the progress on JIRA, I guess I'd
really prefer to go in this direction, unless anyone has serious
objections...

Thoughts?

-john

---
John Casey
Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Member, Apache Software Foundation
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."
        -Aristotle

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree to have a 2.1 ASAP with well tested features.
We'll move others like // downloads in a 2.2

Arnaud

Arnaud

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Bouiaw <bo...@gmail.com>.
OK, Thanks for the explanation.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Any thing fixed in 2.0.10/11 will be in 2.1+

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Nigel Magnay <ni...@gmail.com>.
Umm

m2eclipse is using the 3.x branch, not the 2.1 branch.

Posted by Bouiaw <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 08/02/2009, at 10:12 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Don Brown wrote:
>
>> Do you have tests that pull down multiple dependencies?
>
> I just added a test that pulls down 16 dependencies, using 4
> different group ids and 4 dependencies per group id. The test uses
> the checksum policy "fail" to check that the artifacts are intact.
> What remains to check is the health of the local repo metadata. I am
> running out of time today, so that's at least a start.

Thanks Benjamin, that's exactly what I had in mind to test it.

So it sounds like from this thread that keeping doxia + parallel
downloads in and the rest out is the way to go. I'll update the wiki.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1000 to having it on by default but can be disabled from a CLI option
+1 to having it off by default but can be turned on from a CLI option
-1000 to not having // downloading

just my €0.02

-Stephen

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Arnaud,

Arnaud HERITIER wrote at Sonntag, 8. Februar 2009 14:33:

> And can't we have an option to deactivate it in 2.1 ?

That would be a really good idea.

> If it works like expected we'll remove it in 3.0
>
> (I continue to be in favor to have tests, but it's really difficult to
> have a good coverage it can be a cheap solution)

This is unfortunately not only a question of test coverage. I wrote myself
some library based on concurrent code and I although I have ~99% coverage,
my initial tests where executed always on a single 32-bit x86 CPU. However,
things started to fail on multi-core CPUs, 64-bit CPUs, different JDKs
(32-/64-bit/Solaris) ... so it might be a good idea to keep such an option
in any case ;-)

- Jörg

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
And can't we have an option to deactivate it in 2.1 ?
If it works like expected we'll remove it in 3.0

(I continue to be in favor to have tests, but it's really difficult to have
a good coverage it can be a cheap solution)

Arnaud

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu
> wrote:

> Don Brown wrote:
>
>  Do you have tests that pull down multiple dependencies?
>>

> Yes, but AFAICT only dependencies from the same group id.
>
>  If yes, you do have test coverage. [...] I'm not
>> saying more test coverage isn't a good thing, just that this
>> functionality probably does have coverage.
>>

> The issue with parallelism are things like race conditions,
> deadlock-free synchronization etc. Unless one has full control over the
> interleaved execution of the parallel threads, those aspects can usually
> not be checked from a test.
>

> Benjamin

Arnaud

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Do you have tests that pull down multiple dependencies?  If yes, you
do have test coverage.  Tests are a good way to define a set of
expectations, so that if you reimplement the functionality, you can
ensure the functionality continues to work as expected.  I'm not
saying more test coverage isn't a good thing, just that this
functionality probably does have coverage.

Don

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I don't really get a vote, but as a user, implementer, and
recommender, I heartily agree with this.  parallel resolution in 2.2,
and tie off a 2.1 final as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Christian.
On 6-Feb-09, at 12:12 , John Casey wrote:

> Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
>> John Casey wrote:
>>> At that point, we can make plans for a relatively fast release of
>>> 2.1.1 for the higher-risk issues that are sitting in the 2.1.0-M*
>>> buckets now...possibly parallel artifact downloads if we can ever
>>> get test coverage for that.
>> IMHO the introduction of the parallel artifact download is a
>> significant change that is beyond bugfixing maintenance but a new
>> feature and as such warrants a minor version increment, i.e. 2.2.
>> As a user, I dislike mere micro version increments when there is
>> presumably "higher-risk".
>
> Couldn't agree more. In the case of parallel artifact resolution,
> I'm unwilling to move on it at all until we can get a really solid
> test suite written for it, and TBH I'd much prefer involving Don in
> that effort, since he wrote the code and will have thought about the
> problem (including, perhaps, some failed initial attempts) much more
> than the rest of us. IMO, this would inform his testing, and give us
> a better chance of releasing without bugs.
>
> I'm +1 for moving parallel resolution to 2.2, definitely.
>
> -john

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgruber@gmail.com

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
John Casey wrote:

> In light of the above, along with the good stability we've seen in the
> first milestone release, I'd *much* prefer pushing toward a release of
> 2.1.0-final.

+1.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
If it has a decent test suite and is released, I have no problem putting
it in, at least early in the RC process (to give it a little soak time).
With a strong test suite, I would think this soak period would give us a
good enough chance to check site production...though I wonder, will this
require a corresponding upgrade in the site plugin's own dependencies?
i.e. is the API backward compatible?

If we move down the path of releasing Doxia ASAP then IMO we can push to
get it into 2.1.0. I understand the vicious cycle, but part of the
problem there is that Doxia is apparently unused except in Maven
itself...is that correct?

-john

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Is it released yet? The reason it didn't make the previous releases is
that it wasn't ready. I think it should be in 2.1 but not 2.0 at this
point

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
Picking up the doxia thread:

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1 for all points described.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
I am still available. However, somehow I can't help the feeling that with your
experience it might be quicker if you did it right away instead of walking me
through the process...

-Lukas

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1. The sooner the better.

John Casey wrote:
> [...]
> case, I think the value of milestone releases is greatly diminished at
> this point, and we need to get serious about 2.1.0 final. We can push
> off the non-critical JIRAs currently slated for 2.1.0 into the 2.1.1
> bucket, and get on with it once we have these four dealt with.
>
> -john
>
> Brett Porter wrote:
>> So, there seems to be some agreement.
>>
>> However, I've come back from underground and now there are *two*
>> snapshots on trunk. I'm already spending valentine's day alone, so I
>> didn't really need another reason to curl up in the corner and cry :)
>>
>> I would really like to pull an M2 release in the next week with the
>> stuff that is already there. John, what do you think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett
>>
>> On 10/02/2009, at 9:43 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/18 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:
> On 18/02/2009, at 11:59 PM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> I build my JAX-WS project with maven 2.1.0-M1 and it works :)
>>
>> Good news, but could it be used in m2eclipse ?
>
> It's really something to take up with m2eclipse... but I don't see it
> happening for the reason I outlined earlier regarding the embedder.

Sniff ;(

I'll ask on m2eclipse.

Thanks Brett

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2009, at 7:43 PM, Henri Gomez wrote:

> Question about 2.1.0 / 3.0.0.
>
> In 3.0 alpha2 Jason fix a problem with jaxws-maven.
>
> Could it be backported to 2.1.0 ?

I believe that problem doesn't affect 2.1.0.

> Also did this new 'mileston' will be used in m2eclipse.
>
> I know Maven 3.0 is the target for m2eclipse but during the intermin,
> having a stable and known 2.1 would be nice.

We're not planning to backport the embedder at this stage, but of
course 2.1.0 will be available as an external installation should you
want to use it that way.

HTH,
Brett

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Question about 2.1.0 / 3.0.0.

In 3.0 alpha2 Jason fix a problem with jaxws-maven.

Could it be backported to 2.1.0 ?

Also did this new 'mileston' will be used in m2eclipse.

I know Maven 3.0 is the target for m2eclipse but during the intermin,
having a stable and known 2.1 would be nice.

Regards

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2009, at 4:58 PM, John Casey wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> On 18/02/2009, at 7:23 AM, John Casey wrote:
>> It will take less effort for me to just keep working on issues
>> until they are done, so that's what I'll do. So, agreed, next
>> version is 2.1.0, standard RC cycle applies.
>
> I'm fine whittling away some of what's left out there. I don't think
> it all has to happen in 2.1.0. IMO, we should take care of the four
> top-voted issues if we can - and if we can be relatively sure we're
> not angering the gods with our hubris - then do the rest in 2.1.1.

Ok, I dropped a couple of non-controversial ones and assigned some to
self. Some of them have patches so should be quick enough to get in
there.

>>> Beyond that, I'm alright releasing 2.1.0 final provided we can be
>>> sure that the wagon version we're using is stable. I seem to
>>> remember an issue coming up shortly after the release of 2.1.0-M1
>>> related to one of the new Wagon implementations - WebDAV, maybe?
>>> I'm having some trouble remembering/finding that issue in my
>>> gmail, but we need to make sure that doesn't get left out of this
>>> release. If it means rolling back to an older wagon version, then
>>> let's do that.
>> It's a regression in the SSH wagon, which I've not been able to
>> reproduce and I never saw an issue filed for. We can wait and see
>> what happens in the RC cycle.
>
> Do you happen to have a Nabble link for that thread? I'll keep
> searching, but it'd be really nice to push that to resolution, as
> it's probably the biggest wart on 2.1.0-M1.

I think it's the one from Henrique here: http://markmail.org/thread/2goikjq2x3nqrx5z

I can fiddle around with it again to see if I can reproduce.

- Brett

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
2.1 has actually served the purpose it was intended for and should be
released. Obviously, the other items that were intended for 2.1
haven't been completed and shouldn't hold things up. So +1 on
releasing 2.1.0 now.

As for the other items that weren't completed, at this point it is
unclear to me whether the items that were on the roadmap are being
fixed in 3.0 or not. I'm still not quite sure how far off the 3.0
release is, but it is looking closer all the time. So I really don't
know if it makes sense to work on those items and target a 2.2 release
or not.

Ralph

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Sorry, I only read the first part of your email. I think the controlling the
threads with a setting is a good idea.

I don't see any point in doing another milestone release. The current code
is as stable as 2.0.9/10 yet noone can use it because it's a milestone. It
serves us no point because we don't get any feedback. The original intent of
the milestones was to give the team targets to work towards quickly to get
2.1 out. Since no work was made towards those targets in the last 6 months,
we should just cut the release and move on. When a feature appears and is
ready with tests, then we can include it and release it. The nature of the
oss developent timeline is too haphazard to fully schedule releases like we
tried and in the meantime good code sits unused.

I think we should fix the minimum bugs that are regressions, clean up what
is already there and do a 2.1.0 release asap. Everything else can be 2.2
(features) or 2.1.1 (bugs)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Yep good idea.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
John Casey wrote:

> I'm +1 for including it and providing an opt-out switch to turn it off.

+1

Benjamin

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/9 John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>:
> I'll rearrange the JIRA versions today, then...it looks like we're all in
> agreement about moving directly toward 2.1.0 generally.
>
> As for the parallel download issue, I guess I'm mainly concerned about
> hidden race conditions, deadlocks, etc. Just because there are 400 people
> using it (guessing, I have no idea how many people use Don's builds) doesn't
> mean they've covered all of the use cases currently active in the Maven
> community.
>
> Since I do understand how hard it can be to nail down concurrency issues in
> any sort of standardized way (the grid builds might be one way, since the
> VMs have multiple CPUs), I understand that we could probably test this for
> another month to the exclusion of everything else and still not be 100%
> sure. So, fine...this is 2.1.0 we're talking about, not 2.1.1, right?
> Anything ending in ".0" is bound to have some small trouble.
>
> To keep from killing all of our users in the event something does go wrong
> (remember, this is central to everything Maven does), I'd be happiest with
> putting in place a switch between new and old style resolution. Maybe we can
> do this by simply introducing a "switching" resolver implementation as the
> component used everywhere by everything, then allowing Maven to set a flag
> on that implementation to let it determine internally which "real"
> implementation to use...a copied-and-patched version that constitutes the
> parallel option, or the old one.
>
> I'm +1 for including it and providing an opt-out switch to turn it off. If
> we can make that switch stick permanently via the settings.xml, so much the
> better.
>
> WDYT?

+1000

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
> We do need the password security changes finished. Oleg, are you working on
> the docs or should I put them together based on your blog? Is there anything
> else left to do in the code? I think that dependency needs to be out of
> alpha before we go final - I think we discussed that sort of criteria for
> external dependencies a while back.

About this issue and oleg's post (
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/new-feature-maven-settings-password-encryption/)
I think we have also to create new scripts (or add new features in mvn
script) to hide the usage of the DefaultSecDispatcher.

cheers

--
Arnaud

Re: Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)