Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/03/22 17:16:13 UTC

Apache took over my PC :)

An OS-savy friend just tossed me an inquiry of 'why is Apache.exe running on
this PC?'  Phrased just a bit more clearly than 'why did Apache take over my
computer?' but I trusted him to know the difference, so we started digging.

Apparently, NVIDIA's Forceware Network Access Manager installs it's own copy
of Apache 2.0.52 running as user LocalSystem (no apparent "Apache" service)
in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2
and uninstalling Forceware does remove this Apache2 server.

Of course, the question arises, how many other products are bundling Apache2
and leading to the litany of 'Apache took over my PC!' reports?

I'm suggesting a page of products known to bundle Apache HTTP Server, to help
users identify what's caused Apache.exe to be running on their PC.  Looking
for suggestions of where that page should land?  Maybe even on the Wiki?

An equivalent of rpm --what-provides would be sooo handy here.  In 20/20
hindsight, the rename of Apache.exe to httpd.exe was a great idea ;-)

Re: Apache took over my PC :)

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
That why I never installed the NAM on my nForce 4 mobo...
My new nForce 680i doesn't use an Apache server instance when in
stalling the entire driver so thats and A+ on that :)

Good Idea about the list I remember some loganilizer i tried had it
also i'll dig around to see if I can still find out which one it was.

PS: do mail server with integrated webmail count too? @mail uses
apache for it's webmail

On 3/22/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Added;
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Info/ThirdPartyBundled
>
> which should let more users amend this list with their observations
> and research.
>
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > An OS-savy friend just tossed me an inquiry of 'why is Apache.exe running on
> > this PC?'  Phrased just a bit more clearly than 'why did Apache take over my
> > computer?' but I trusted him to know the difference, so we started digging.
> >
> > Apparently, NVIDIA's Forceware Network Access Manager installs it's own copy
> > of Apache 2.0.52 running as user LocalSystem (no apparent "Apache" service)
> > in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2
> > and uninstalling Forceware does remove this Apache2 server.
> >
> > Of course, the question arises, how many other products are bundling Apache2
> > and leading to the litany of 'Apache took over my PC!' reports?
> >
> > I'm suggesting a page of products known to bundle Apache HTTP Server, to help
> > users identify what's caused Apache.exe to be running on their PC.  Looking
> > for suggestions of where that page should land?  Maybe even on the Wiki?
> >
> > An equivalent of rpm --what-provides would be sooo handy here.  In 20/20
> > hindsight, the rename of Apache.exe to httpd.exe was a great idea ;-)

~Jorge

Re: Apache took over my PC :)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Added;