Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Manico <ji...@manico.net> on 2008/08/11 06:12:45 UTC

Re: is JDK 1.1 still needed? README say Java5

I would say that the era of Java up through 1.3 is dead. Java 1.4 and
above is the only thing I see in production anymore.

- Jim

> browsing the tomcat trunk, i found org.apache.tomcat.util.collections.*
>
> is org.apache.tomcat.util.collections still used? some classes have a
> comment  - since this package must also run on JDK 1.1 -
>
> there are some Classes wich aren't used any longer? or should not used
> (Enumeration replaced by Iterator)
>
> some of those (Queue) could be replaced by java.util.concurrent
> package i think
>
> not used/not visible are
> (EmptyEnumeration,MultiMapValuesEnumeration,Queue)
>

> ---
> Jens Kapitza

Jim Manico, Senior Application Security Engineer
jim.manico@aspectsecurity.com | jim@manico.net
(301) 604-4882 (work)
(808) 652-3805 (cell)

Aspect Security™
Securing your applications at the source
http://www.aspectsecurity.com

Management, Developers, Security Professionals ...
... can only result in one thing. BETTER SECURITY.
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_NYC_AppSec_2008_Conference
Sept 22nd-25th 2008

Re: is JDK 1.1 still needed? README say Java5

Posted by Jens Kapitza <j....@schwarze-allianz.de>.
Mark Thomas schrieb:
> Jens Kapitza wrote:
>> Mark Thomas schrieb:
>>>
>>> The 2.5 Servlet spec mandates Java 1.5 so for TC6 and up you are fine.
>> i'm working on trunk (are all files hostet in one trunk?)
> Yes they are.
I've browsed the SVN a little bit, there are tags (branches) for tomcat 4,5
i think there should no problem to remove unneeded stuff from trunk an
clean up a little bit

Jens Kapitza

Re: is JDK 1.1 still needed? README say Java5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Jens Kapitza wrote:
> Mark Thomas schrieb:
>>
>> The 2.5 Servlet spec mandates Java 1.5 so for TC6 and up you are fine.
> i'm working on trunk (are all files hostet in one trunk?)
Yes they are.

> i've removed some Classes and it works fine  tomcat now has more speed
> (startup takes 1/2 time ~800ms)
> with changes to the code (use of Collections API, Avoid Cast ...)
Interesting.

Mark

Re: is JDK 1.1 still needed? README say Java5

Posted by Jens Kapitza <j....@schwarze-allianz.de>.
Mark Thomas schrieb:

> The 2.5 Servlet spec mandates Java 1.5 so for TC6 and up you are fine.
i'm working on trunk (are all files hostet in one trunk?)
i've removed some Classes and it works fine  tomcat now has more speed
(startup takes 1/2 time ~800ms)
with changes to the code (use of Collections API, Avoid Cast ...)
> TC5 needs to run on 1.4 (with the compat package) and TC4 should run on
> 1.3 although there has been the odd error (by me) in this area but they
> do get fixed.
>
> Mark

---
Jens Kapitza

Re: is JDK 1.1 still needed? README say Java5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.