Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2012/07/12 21:44:04 UTC

[VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

I have created a candidate build for Avro release 1.7.1.

Changes are listed at:

  http://s.apache.org/avro171notes

Please download the sources, check them, and vote.

  http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.7.1-rc0/

The Maven staging repository is at:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-046/

Thanks in advance for voting!

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Can folks please cast a vote on this release candidate?

Thanks,

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
+1

All unit tests pass for avro-c on MacOS 10.6.8 and CentOS 5.8.  Hashes
correct.

--
Matt

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Ed Kohlwey <ek...@gmail.com>.
Doug,

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@apache.org>.
On my mac (OSX Lion):
$tar -tzf avro-1.7.1-rc0.tar.gz | grep SUCCESS.crc
avro-src-1.7.1/lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduc
e/mapreduce-test-input.avro/._SUCCESS.crc

$tar -xf avro-1.7.1-rc0.tar.gz
tar: copyfile unpack
(avro-src-1.7.1/lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapredu
ce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc) failed: No such file or directory

If I then inspect the unpacked files:

$ find . -name *SUCCESS.crc | xargs ls -lah
-rw-r--r--  1 scottc  staff     8B Apr 13 12:03
./lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-t
est-input.avro/._SUCCESS.crc
-rw-r--r--  1 scottc  staff     0B Jul 20 09:56
./lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-t
est-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc

It appears that the error creates a zero length file.  Perhaps on other
systems there is the same error, but it does not create an empty file.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I get an error when unpacking (this is on Mac OS X):
>
> tar: copyfile unpack
> (avro-src-1.7.1/lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc)
> failed: No such file or directory
>
> When I ran tests from the svn tag it worked fine - but then, there's
> no SUCCESS.crc file there. A fix would be to make sure that file is
> not present before creating the tarball. I'm not sure how it gets
> there though.

The actual file name is:

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded the source archive and ran the Java tests, but
>> org.apache.avro.mapreduce.TestWordCount and
>> org.apache.avro.mapreduce.TestAvroMultipleOutputs failed because the
>> (empty) file lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc
>> is created when unpacking the archive, and it is picked up as input to
>> the MapReduce jobs. If I delete the errant file then the Java tests
>> all pass.
>
> When I extract the source tarball I find that file to contain 8 bytes
> and that 'mvn test' succeeds.

I get an error when unpacking (this is on Mac OS X):

tar: copyfile unpack
(avro-src-1.7.1/lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc)
failed: No such file or directory

When I ran tests from the svn tag it worked fine - but then, there's
no SUCCESS.crc file there. A fix would be to make sure that file is
not present before creating the tarball. I'm not sure how it gets
there though.

> Are you running tests from the root or from lang/java?  I generally
> run them from the root.  Perhaps that's the difference?

I tried from both directories and got the same result.

>> Apart from that, checksums and signature are good, and the license and
>> notice look correct.
>
> Thanks for checking!
>
> Doug

Cheers,
Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the source archive and ran the Java tests, but
> org.apache.avro.mapreduce.TestWordCount and
> org.apache.avro.mapreduce.TestAvroMultipleOutputs failed because the
> (empty) file lang/java/mapred/src/test/resources/org/apache/avro/mapreduce/mapreduce-test-input.avro/SUCCESS.crc
> is created when unpacking the archive, and it is picked up as input to
> the MapReduce jobs. If I delete the errant file then the Java tests
> all pass.

When I extract the source tarball I find that file to contain 8 bytes
and that 'mvn test' succeeds.

Are you running tests from the root or from lang/java?  I generally
run them from the root.  Perhaps that's the difference?

> Apart from that, checksums and signature are good, and the license and
> notice look correct.

Thanks for checking!

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
This vote passes, with 4 +1 votes, 3 from PMC members.  Thanks!

I'll start publishing it.

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.7.1 (rc 0)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@apache.org>.
Checksums match, packaging looks good.  My projects successfully compile
and test against the artifacts in the maven repo.

However, I am having issues completing unit tests for Java and
successfully building from the tarball.

TestDataFile.java fails for me, as it cannot find snappy for some reason.
This happens on trunk as well.  I have recently migrated to Java 7 on Mac
OS Lion.  With 1.6.x releases I was testing on Mac OSX Snow Leopard with
Java 6.

Tests run: 18, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.032 sec
<<< FAILURE!
runTestsInOrder[5](org.apache.avro.TestDataFile)  Time elapsed: 0.034 sec
<<< ERROR!
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.xerial.snappy.Snappy
        at org.apache.avro.file.SnappyCodec.compress(SnappyCodec.java:43)
        at
org.apache.avro.file.DataFileStream$DataBlock.compressUsing(DataFileStream.
java:349)
        at
org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter.writeBlock(DataFileWriter.java:348)
        at
org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter.sync(DataFileWriter.java:360)
        at
org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter.flush(DataFileWriter.java:367)
        at
org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter.close(DataFileWriter.java:374)
        at
org.apache.avro.TestDataFile.testGenericWrite(TestDataFile.java:127)
        at
org.apache.avro.TestDataFile.runTestsInOrder(TestDataFile.java:89)
. . .

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no snappyjava in
java.library.path
        at
org.xerial.snappy.SnappyNativeLoader.loadLibrary(SnappyNativeLoader.java:52
)

stdout has:
320 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
Ignoring: org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter$AppendWriteException:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null of long in field longField of Test
479 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
645 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
653 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-0
Ignoring: org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter$AppendWriteException:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null of long in field longField of Test
736 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-0
756 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-0
758 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-1
Ignoring: org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter$AppendWriteException:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null of long in field longField of Test
812 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-1
899 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-1
902 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-9
Ignoring: org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter$AppendWriteException:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null of long in field longField of Test
950 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-9
956 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec:
deflate-9
958 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
Ignoring: org.apache.avro.file.DataFileWriter$AppendWriteException:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null of long in field longField of Test
982 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
989 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: null
992 [main] INFO org.apache.avro.TestDataFile - Running with codec: snappy
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:5
7)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImp
l.java:43)
at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyLoader.loadNativeLibrary(SnappyLoader.java:317)
        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyLoader.load(SnappyLoader.java:219)
        at org.xerial.snappy.Snappy.<clinit>(Snappy.java:44)