Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Lawrence <an...@healthmagic.com> on 2000/03/03 21:27:06 UTC

Runtime issues with Tomcat v3.1 beta rc1

Hi all --

I have been working with Tomcat 3.1M1 for some time now, and it has worked
reliably for me, for the most part. This morning, I pulled down v3.1 beta
rc1, and attempted to put my application (that ran fine in 3.1M1) into it.

Some strange things are happening:
-- Unless I explicitely put my .jars in the classpath, they are not picked
up in my <webapp>/WEB-INF/lib/ directory.  I *thought* this had been
working, so its probably me. Any ideas on what to check/do?

-- my LoginServlet will start to run, and then:
Error: 500

java.lang.ClassFormatError: com/hmi/con/IdentityMgr (Illegal Variable name
"")
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveClassLoader.loadClass(AdaptiveClassLoader.j
ava, Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
        at LoginServlet.processRequest(LoginServlet.java:131)

There are not any variables named "" in my class :-).  I know that the
LoginServlet was successful in calling other methods on other classes in the
same package (which just happens to be in a com/hmi/con structure under
WEB-INF/classes), so I am sure it is finding the .class file.  I have tried
recompiling, etc. but to no avail.

The confounding part of all this is that the same directory structure copied
back into the 3.1M1 tree works just fine.

Any ideas?  thanks!