Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by K F <kf...@yahoo.com> on 2016/03/09 17:23:53 UTC

ntpd clock sync

Hi,
I have question about ntpd. In certain clusters where new datacenters were added since 1 week we stood-up those machines didn't have ntpd running on them. Will it cause any problem if we enable or start ntpd now on those newly added datacenters.
Thanks.

Re: ntpd clock sync

Posted by Spencer Brown <li...@gmail.com>.
but what I'm saying is that every second will still hit.  It's just that
that second will only last for 0.8s.  So to the code above the OS and even
the shell level system calls, there is no difference.  The difference is
very lo level - interrupts come in every micro-second or so from the CPU
and the OS just turns over the clock a little faster.
I've seen systems brought up to speed by days using NTP without problem -
it just takes a number of hours for the system to get where it needs to.
And if your system had been bleeding time, no files are post-dated...  they
are all dated to something slightly behind the real time.

Re: ntpd clock sync

Posted by John Wong <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: ntpd clock sync

Posted by Spencer Brown <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: ntpd clock sync

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Re: ntpd clock sync

Posted by K F <kf...@yahoo.com>.
the clock is about 30 to 40 seconds behind.

From:  K F
Date:  Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:23 AM
To:  User
Subject:  ntpd clock sync