Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com> on 2013/11/04 17:19:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add 'Other' category to gen_toc.py for apidoc

I would like to be able to leverage the existing apidoc tools to generate apidoc for my plugin’s exposed APIs. However, gen_toc.py expects all APIs to fall into one of the hard coded ‘known_categories’. Since my APIs don’t fall into one of the existing categories, gen_toc.py fails with the error:

Exception: Need to add a category for <my api> to gen_toc.py:known_categories

What are people’s thoughts on adding a category called ‘Other’ for APIs which do not fall into one of the hard coded categories? I’ve tested this locally by adding the following to gen_toc.py:

To the end of the known_categories hash: 'Other' : ‘Other’
At end end of choose_category(fn): return known_categories['Other’]

I think there is a lot to be done with the apidoc tools moving forward to allow third party plugins to use the tools, but this would be a quick fix that would at least make the tools usable for now.

-Chris
--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com<ma...@netapp.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] Add 'Other' category to gen_toc.py for apidoc

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
Agreed. I’m not a fan of how this is working right now, but this late in the cycle I think trying to rework all of this is a scary idea. It would be a good thing to look for post-4.3.

-Chris
--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com