Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> on 2019/07/08 19:37:55 UTC

[Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Hi Folks,

We're looking for someone to be the Coordinator for the ASF at Outreachy,
here are the high level details for the commitment:

Time commitment: 5h/week (average)
Duration: 1 year
Responsibilities: Act as the liaison between the ASF and Outreachy,
coordinate ASF projects before and during the application process, sheppard
projects through internships, raise funds through Outreachy

If you're interested, just reply to this thread.

I'd encourage folks who might be reading, and don't feel you're experienced
enough or have enough tenure at the ASF, to express interest. This is a
good opportunity to build a contribution trajectory at the ASF.

Below is the entire description of the role from the outreachy website.

* * * * * * * *

Coordinator
FOSS community coordinator. Outreachy internships are organized into
projects under a specific FOSS community. Each community has a coordinator,
which is the main point of contact between the Outreachy organizers and the
community's mentors and volunteers. A community cannot participate in
Outreachy without a coordinator, and each Outreachy mentored project must
be associated with a community.

Coordinator Duties Before Application Period Opens
- Finding funding for at least 1 intern ($6,500)
- Applying to be an Outreachy community (if a new community), or listing
your community as participating in the current  Outreachy Outreachy
internship round (if your community has participated in a past round).
- Ensuring there are community volunteers who can answer Outreachy
applicant questions during the six week application period
- Finding at least two mentors who can commit to our mentor requirements
- Approving mentor-submitted projects. Coordinators will receive an email
when a mentor submits a new project. They should review the project to see
whether it is a good fit for a three-month internship with a newcomer to
free and open source software.

Coordinator Duties During Application Period
- Communicating with mentors to determine if they have too few applicants
(and need to extend the application deadline for a project) or if the
mentor has too many applicants (and needs to close the project to new
applicants)
- Reminding mentors to make their intern selection ASAP after the applicant
deadline passes
- Working with mentors to prioritize which interns to accept. Communities
need to be selective about their interns, so coordinators will need to
review interns' applications, time commitments, and double check that the
mentor is still able to meet our time requirement commitments during the
internship. Coordinators are encouraged to be especially selective about
interns who will be funded from the Outreachy general fund.
- Responding to cases where two Outreachy projects want to accept the same
intern. Sometimes projects within the same community, or even different
communities want to accept the same intern. The Outreachy organizers sort
out the selection during the weeks between the application deadline and the
intern announcement date. It's very important to select your interns on
time, so that Outreachy organizers can work out any applicant conflicts.
- Responding to cases where mentors have selected an ineligible applicant.
Applicants often "push the boundaries" of our eligibility rules, especially
students who are taking too many classes. Outreachy organizers will follow
up with applicants with missing or vague eligibility information, and we
may need community coordinator help to get the mentor to pick a different
candidate.
In the rare case where a mentor needs to drop from the program,
coordinators help find a replacement mentor

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Matt Sicker <ma...@apache.org>.
Didn't realize this was a separate mailing list. As I mentioned in the old list, I'd be interested in helping out here as long as you can connect me with people for funding.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
I'm +1 : o)

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, 8:49 AM Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Gris, did we confirm with Sage Sharp that 3 people sharing the
> Coordinator role is OK? The text on the website implies a single person.

I haven't confirmed explicitly, however I know the Mozilla community splits
the tasks with two people. Will get back to this thread after Sage confirms.

> To Ross's point, we have 3 people who've agreed to help, and have met
> with the Chair's approval, so I think this meets his statement. The role
> of the coordinator is very well laid out as a facilitation role only on
> Outreachy's website.
>
> +1 with either approach to clarify the fundraising aspect, to avoid
> confusion and lengthy, flame-fest emails ;)

Ack.

Posted by Katia Rojas <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Just confirming really excited and happy to volunteer to be a coordinator.

Cheers,
Katia

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Whoops, made a mistake here:

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
That's good enough for me!

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

On 2019-07-15 3:37, Ross Gardler wrote:
> +1 (is prefer to remove fundraising entirely in order to allow unhindered progress, but Sam's attempt to be explicit about the scope of fundraising efforts is ok by me)
>
> With respect to "assigning" individuals to roles: fine if someone wants the job let them do it. It's the Apache Way to NOT have appointed leaders. The goal is to let whoever is doing the work lead the work. Formally assigning people can have the disadvantage of giving the impression that others are not entitled to help. On the other hand when things are time based having someone to make decisions can be good.
>
> So, +1 to assign anyone willing to do the work, but let's ensure they consider their primary responsibility is to help others contribute to the effort. Their secondary role is to ensure we hit deadlines.
>
> Ross
>
> ---
>
> Sent from my phone, likely while waking down the stars and having a conversation. Sorry about my carelessness, I blame the machines.
>
> ________________________________

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:55 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My only concern with the whole Outreachy effort is the implied coordination with fundraising. At least for the time being, we should simply say that fundraising is out of scope for D&I. No effort should be made to do anything but understand the current situation with funding.

Just so it is clear, I am assuming that statement is with your "member
of the committee" hat on, not your "chairman of the board" hat on.
Let us know if you intended otherwise.

My fear is that after the IBM donation is used up, we will be wanting
more and while the board may see value in the results it may not be at
the point where it is ready to discuss funding this from ASF funds and
we won't have have the preparatory discussions with sponsors, which
generally (but thankfully not in this instance) involve long lead
times.

As for me, as long as the coordinators work with Daniel and he
approves of the efforts, I not only am OK with it, I am positively
supportive of it.

> That said, having the three individuals sharing the coordination role is a great step forward.

+1

> Craig

- Sam Ruby

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
My only concern with the whole Outreachy effort is the implied coordination with fundraising. At least for the time being, we should simply say that fundraising is out of scope for D&I. No effort should be made to do anything but understand the current situation with funding.

That said, having the three individuals sharing the coordination role is a great step forward.

Craig

> On Jul 14, 2019, at 11:53 AM, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Just to for clarification.
>
> I'd like to hear your feedback on assigning Matt, Katia and Awasum as
> Outreachy coordinators for the ASF.  I'd like to make this official after
> 72h from this email.
>
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 10:16 AM Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Working with Fundraising makes incredible sense for future work so we can
>> get more sponsors. The first round (Winter 2019) sounds funded already, so
>> any work done with Fundraising would be to target the Summer 2020 Outreachy
>> round.
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:04, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed. Thanks Sam & Ross.

>>> "Small

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Just to for clarification.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Volunteer Needed] Outreachy Coordinator for the ASF

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Agreed. Thanks Sam & Ross.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi Everyone,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey peeps,

Either Matt or Awasum would be great, but since I may be the only one here
with much experience with Awasum, allow me to say a few words:

Awasum has been on the PMC of Fineract with me for a couple of years.
There he has always been well-organized, inclusive, consistent, and
level-headed.  He has contributed a great deal to growing that community
and several of our recent committer and PMC additions can be traced back to
Awasum's mentorship.

Awasum would be excellent in this role.

Best Regards,
Myrle
🐥, Apache Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Hi Gris,

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
After speaking with the coordinator I've been working with, as long as
you can help connect me with fundraising sources, I'd be interested in
helping out.