Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chandler Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/11 09:16:44 UTC

[Help] OVS Tunnel ARP reply storm problem

Hi,

I am trying to learn the procedure of multi-tenancy network created by GRE
tunnel in CloudStack and trying to establish one in Xenserver 6.2
environment step by step.

According to the sourcecode in ovstunnel, CloudStack need to prevent
broadcast storm by generating some flow rules on openvswitch. I create a
full mash topology using GRE tunnel, create some VMs, and set broadcast
storm prevent rules on each ovs.  Unfortunately, amount of ARP reply storm
packet flow between all hosts after one VM pings the other VM in another
Host. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy1opm7plho9dzs/arp%20reply%20storm.PNG)

In this case, IP 10.0.0.1's VM is on IP 10.0.75.9's Host, IP 10.0.0.2's VM
is on IP 10.0.75.14's Host. The ARP request broadcast packets were dropped
successfully by the broadcast storm prevent rules excepted the real target
IP 10.0.75.14's Host, but ARP reply packets seems cannot be filtered by the
rules, so the ARP reply storm happened in this loop topology.

Could anyone tell me how CloudStack ovs tunnel avoid ARP reply storm or did
I miss something important? Thanks!

BRs,
Chandler Li

Re: [Help] OVS Tunnel ARP reply storm problem

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <tu...@apache.org>.
I filed the bug here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5516

Need anyone who master in networking can help. Temporary I still let
enabled STP. Or we can go back to disabled STP if needed.

Cheers,

--Tuna

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
Tuna,