Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hélène Ortiz <or...@ill.fr> on 2018/04/23 14:54:45 UTC

Problem with catalina.out

Hi,
I'm working with Tomcat8 on Linux Debian.
My web application uses log4j to define logging policy in a specific
file (which rotates every day): myapp.log.

My problem is that Tomcat logs both in my file and in catalina.out ; the
latter grows very quickly and I didn't manage to find a solution.
I tried to modify logging.properties to remove Console handler but it
does not work.

Thanks a lot for your help

AW: [eX-Bulk]: Problem with catalina.out

Posted by Mario Schmitz <M....@ktbl.de>.
Hey,

do you have an example of your log4j-File(s)?

An example from one of my webservices:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration status="warn">
	<Appenders>
		<Console name="console" target="system_out">
			<PatternLayout pattern="[%-5p] %-50m @ %l  %n" />
		</Console>
		<File name="server-test-logfile" fileName="/var/log/tomcat/ws-data-test.log">
			<PatternLayout>
				<Pattern>%d %p %c{1.} [%t] %m%n</Pattern>
			</PatternLayout>
		</File>
	</Appenders>
	<Loggers>
		<Root level="debug">
			<AppenderRef ref="server-test-logfile" />
		</Root>
		<Logger name="de.myenterprise" level="debug" additivity="true" />
	</Loggers>

</Configuration>

greetings