Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/09/08 11:09:38 UTC

Menu Strategy

Hi Lenya developers,

in my eyes, the info area is a good reason to finally
re-designing the menu architecture.

At the moment, the info area menu is provided from the Lenya
core. I think we agree on the insufficiency of this
strategy.

There are some questions:

- What shall the implementation look like?
   Probably a concept similar to the doctypes.xmap sitemap
   is appropriate (cocoon://menu/{pub-id}/{area}.xml).
   The styling and application of the usecasemenu and
   workflowmenu transformers should be moved to the core.

- Does it make sense to put a default menu in the core?
   I don't think so. This requires fallback (=slow) and will
   be used very scarcely.

- Is it useful to share a single menu in the info and authoring
   area? I think it is. Items which are used in either of
   the areas can be marked with, e.g., an info="false" attribute.
   At the end it's up to the publication to decide if it uses
   only one menu or not. But the attribute handling would be
   implemented in the core.

What do you think?

Andreas

Re: Menu Strategy

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

>>>What exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>You can't customize it in your publication.
>
> Is there a need to customize the info menues?

Yes, e.g. to trigger your custom usecases.

>>>Where are they now?
>>
>>They were in the menu pipelines in publication-sitemap.xmap.
>
> I see. They were? Did you move'em already?

Yes.

Andreas

Re: Menu Strategy

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> writes:

> Christian Egli wrote:
> > Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> writes:
> >
> >>At the moment, the info area menu is provided from the Lenya
> >>core. I think we agree on the insufficiency of this
> >>strategy.
> > What exactly is wrong with it?
>
> You can't customize it in your publication.

Is there a need to customize the info menues?

> >>   The styling and application of the usecasemenu and
> >>   workflowmenu transformers should be moved to the core.
> > Where are they now?
>
> They were in the menu pipelines in publication-sitemap.xmap.

I see. They were? Did you move'em already?

> >>- Does it make sense to put a default menu in the core?
> >>   I don't think so. This requires fallback (=slow) and will
> >>   be used very scarcely.
> > Sounds to me like it'd be good for new publications. I agree that
> > it'd
> > be used scarcely, but why would a fallback make it slow?
>
> Just another resource-exists action call (if it's that simple).

I see. I think we should try to make the publication sitemaps as lean
as possible. That's why I'm in favour of putting it in the core.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: Menu Strategy

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Menu Strategy

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> writes:

> At the moment, the info area menu is provided from the Lenya
> core. I think we agree on the insufficiency of this
> strategy.

What exactly is wrong with it?

> There are some questions:
>
> - What shall the implementation look like?
>    Probably a concept similar to the doctypes.xmap sitemap
>    is appropriate (cocoon://menu/{pub-id}/{area}.xml).

That looks ok.

>    The styling and application of the usecasemenu and
>    workflowmenu transformers should be moved to the core.

Where are they now?

> - Does it make sense to put a default menu in the core?
>    I don't think so. This requires fallback (=slow) and will
>    be used very scarcely.

Sounds to me like it'd be good for new publications. I agree that it'd
be used scarcely, but why would a fallback make it slow?

> - Is it useful to share a single menu in the info and authoring
>    area?

Yes. Less code duplication.