Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/11/16 16:42:00 UTC

Enhancements to status.xml t

         <action dev="NKB" type="update" context="docs">
           Added enhancements to status.xml to comply with the
           needs for a complete status file,
           like other "STATUS" text files at Apache.
           Stylesheets not yet done.
         </action>

   See is it looks right and comment freely :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Enhancements to status.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 04:42:00PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>        <action dev="NKB" type="update" context="docs">
>>          Added enhancements to status.xml to comply with the
>>          needs for a complete status file,
>>          like other "STATUS" text files at Apache.
>>          Stylesheets not yet done.
>>        </action>
>>
>>  See is it looks right and comment freely :-)
>

> I've never seen a real Apache STATUS file.. does it look anything like
> STATUS files in Jakarta Commons?

Look at the STATUS files of the httpd projects for example, in of
incubator or commons.

Ok, for the lazy ones, here are some links:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/httpd-2.0/STATUS?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/httpd-docs-2.0/STATUS?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator/STATUS?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/commons/STATUS?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

What I would like is that module.xml and status.xml can be used by
Forrest projects instead of the STATUS file.

Gump already does quite cool cross-project data from the module.xml
files (I'll rename them to project.xml?) , and I'll give it a go in
Alexandria so that we can run forrest on those docs, and have a real
cross-project info.

status.xml becomes more than it is now and more than the STATUS file, a
real structured community log.

 > Does every little vote need to be in
 > there, or just things like voting in committers?

I?d put all votes, that is [VOTE]s, which are somewhat "official".
We could also think about recording proposals and discussions we talk
about like the single-content-dir stuff.

> +1 for trying it out..  perhaps not put it in fresh-site/status.xml just
> yet until we see if it works.

Yup, that's the idea :-)

Feel free to add tags and try using them, we'll see if/which work out best.

> On this subject, does anyone mind if I reorder status.xml as follows:
>
> <status>
>
>   <developers/>
>
>   <changes>
>     <release/>
>     <release/>
>     ..
>   </changes>
>
>   <todo/>
>
>   <issues/>
> </status>
>
> Ie, put the most frequently edited stuff (changes) at the top.  It would
> make adding change entries easier, and AFAIK we have no DTD for this yet
> anyway..

+0

Reorder as you wish, it's fine for me :-)

BTW, shall we keep wishlist, or put it in a wishlist category of todo?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 04:42:00PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>         <action dev="NKB" type="update" context="docs">
>           Added enhancements to status.xml to comply with the
>           needs for a complete status file,
>           like other "STATUS" text files at Apache.
>           Stylesheets not yet done.
>         </action>
>
>   See is it looks right and comment freely :-)

I've never seen a real Apache STATUS file.. does it look anything like
STATUS files in Jakarta Commons?  Does every little vote need to be in
there, or just things like voting in committers?

+1 for trying it out..  perhaps not put it in fresh-site/status.xml just
yet until we see if it works.

On this subject, does anyone mind if I reorder status.xml as follows:

<status>

  <developers/>

  <changes>
    <release/>
    <release/>
    ..
  </changes>

  <todo/>

  <issues/>
</status>

Ie, put the most frequently edited stuff (changes) at the top.  It would
make adding change entries easier, and AFAIK we have no DTD for this yet
anyway..

--Jeff