Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Joseph Southwell <jo...@southwell.org> on 2014/01/06 18:46:27 UTC

Contributor OS cross reference?

Should we have a cross reference somewhere showing which contributors work in which operating systems?

Perhaps we could use the <properties> section of the <develloper> entry in the pom.xml? i.e.:
    <developer>
        <id>joseph</id>
        <name>Joseph Southwell</name>
        <email>joseph@apache.org</email>
        <timezone>America/Chicago</timezone>
        <roles>
            <role>Committer</role>
        </roles>
        <properties>
            <platform>MSWindows</platform>
            <platform>MacOS</platform>
        </properties>
    </developer>

Anybody else like this idea or something like it?

Joseph Southwell
joseph@southwell.org
The past is history,
The future's a mystery,
The present's a gift.

Re: Contributor OS cross reference?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 6 Jan 2014, at 20:38, Joseph Southwell wrote:

> I see how that could be a problem since we all have documented
> apache.org addresses. Nevermind then. I guess when I have questions
> about platforms I don't have I should just pipe up to the list in
> general?

It's a saying at the ASF: "if it didn't happen on list, it didn't
happen" (Roy Fielding).
We are committed to transparent development and support as well. For
that we should discuss anything on a list (also for documentation
purposes).

So if you have a question around logging branding which is domain I know
a little about,
you still should ping the list with your question. Others might be
interested as well (or have something to say about it too)

In some cases its necessary to get the attention of a specific person.
In that case you might want to add this person
to CC, but this should be only rarely the case.

Hope this answers your question :-) If not, shout!

Cheers
Christian

> On Jan 6, 2014, at 12:59 PM, "Christian Grobmeier"
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally I don't think it is good to have such an information
>> around.
>> People sometimes tend to contact people in private instead of the
>> list.
>> In addition, I prefer the "team thinking": we all are responsible for
>> the whole product.
>>
>> Of course, this is just my taste. All projects are free to choose
>> whats good for them.
>> In log4j2 people like to have such an information too. So if log4cxx
>> people like to have it,
>> then you are free to go.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Christian
>>
>> On 6 Jan 2014, at 18:46, Joseph Southwell wrote:
>>
>>> Should we have a cross reference somewhere showing which
>>> contributors work in which operating systems?
>>>
>>> Perhaps we could use the <properties> section of the <develloper>
>>> entry in the pom.xml? i.e.:
>>> <developer>
>>>  <id>joseph</id>
>>>  <name>Joseph Southwell</name>
>>>  <email>joseph@apache.org</email>
>>>  <timezone>America/Chicago</timezone>
>>>  <roles>
>>>      <role>Committer</role>
>>>  </roles>
>>>  <properties>
>>>      <platform>MSWindows</platform>
>>>      <platform>MacOS</platform>
>>>  </properties>
>>> </developer>
>>>
>>> Anybody else like this idea or something like it?
>>>
>>> Joseph Southwell
>>> joseph@southwell.org
>>> The past is history,
>>> The future's a mystery,
>>> The present's a gift.
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> The Zen Programmer: http://bit.ly/12lC6DL
>> @grobmeier
>> GPG: 0xA5CC90DB
>>

> Joseph Southwell
> joseph@southwell.org
> The past is history,
> The future's a mystery,
> The present's a gift.

---

Posted by Joseph Southwell <jo...@southwell.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Personally I don't think it is good to have such an information around.
People sometimes tend to contact people in private instead of the list.
In addition, I prefer the "team thinking": we all are responsible for
the whole product.

Of course, this is just my taste. All projects are free to choose whats
good for them.
In log4j2 people like to have such an information too. So if log4cxx
people like to have it,
then you are free to go.

Cheers
Christian

On 6 Jan 2014, at 18:46, Joseph Southwell wrote:

> Should we have a cross reference somewhere showing which contributors
> work in which operating systems?
>
> Perhaps we could use the <properties> section of the <develloper>
> entry in the pom.xml? i.e.:
>  <developer>
>      <id>joseph</id>
>      <name>Joseph Southwell</name>
>      <email>joseph@apache.org</email>
>      <timezone>America/Chicago</timezone>
>      <roles>
>          <role>Committer</role>
>      </roles>
>      <properties>
>          <platform>MSWindows</platform>
>          <platform>MacOS</platform>
>      </properties>
>  </developer>
>
> Anybody else like this idea or something like it?
>
> Joseph Southwell
> joseph@southwell.org
> The past is history,
> The future's a mystery,
> The present's a gift.

---

Posted by Joseph Southwell <jo...@southwell.org>.
On Jan 7, 2014, at 10:57 PM, Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 06.01.2014 18:46, Joseph Southwell wrote:
>> Should we have a cross reference somewhere
>> <snip>
>
> I like the idea to have a kind of snapshot overview of the
> Os/compiler-chain currently "available for[within] the team".
>
> Doing this in the pom seems not a good idea, but, as suggested by Rhys
> in a previous thread, we can maybe just use this thread to inform each
> other.

MSWindows with Visual Studio 2008, 2012 and 2013
Mac OS Xcode 5.0.2 on 10.9 Mavericks.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Florian Seydoux,
am Mittwoch, 8. Januar 2014 um 05:57 schrieben Sie:

> I like the idea to have a kind of snapshot overview of the
> Os/compiler-chain currently "available for[within] the team".

Would it be worth documenting this on the project site instead of only
relying on this thread? We already have a menu item "Building" for
different platforms and could add something like "Used by the team" on
the same level. We wouldn't even necessarily need to mention names if
one doesn't want to, just a simple list or table like:

Member 1/Combination/whatever 1:

OS: ...
Compiler: ...

Member/Combination/whatever 2:

I have access to:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Embarcadero C++ Builder XE 4

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Contributor OS cross reference?

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
I use following in frequent:

Linux Ubuntu[gcc]
Windows 7[visual studio 2008]
Linux Redhat5[gcc]

regards,

*Chand Priyankara*  [image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/chand.priyankara>
 [image: LinkedIn] <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/chandpriyankara> [image:
Blogger] <http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com/> [image: Google
Plus]<http://plus.google.com/104246340732624023499>

<http://www.iucnredlist.org/amazing-species>sent via internet

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.
On 06.01.2014 18:46, Joseph Southwell wrote:
> Should we have a cross reference somewhere
> <snip>

I like the idea to have a kind of snapshot overview of the
Os/compiler-chain currently "available for[within] the team".

Doing this in the pom seems not a good idea, but, as suggested by Rhys
in a previous thread, we can maybe just use this thread to inform each
other.

Personally, I have currently access to:

OS Windows(seven x64)
- MinGW (msys), with gcc 4.5(.4) & 4.6(.4)
- Ms Visual studio 2010 (pro)
- Ms Visual studio express 2010 & 2013 (lower availability)
- Eventually: Cygwin + gcc 4.8.2

OS Debian (i386) [gcc/clang] <- even lower availability
(well... right now, my debian host is physically broken, but it will be
back soon).

flo