Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Dmitry <dm...@pixoutserver.com> on 2013/04/23 21:07:30 UTC

Signals

Hello All,

I'm new in thrift, reading documentation about thrift I can't find any analog for callback ( like signals in D-BUS ).
Does thrift provides callback methods ?

Inside my project time to time, server can notify client about some event.
Which are best practices in case of thrift ?

Thanks
--
Best regards
Dmitry

Re: Signals

Posted by Ben Craig <be...@ni.com>.
There are two big approaches to get a signal from a server to a client.
1. The "inverted call" approach.  Basically, your client calls the server,
and the call doesn't complete immediately.  When your server wants to send
a message to the client, it sets the return value of this "inverted call"
appropriately, then completes.
2. More clients and more servers.  Each end of the connection can have
both a client and a server.  The connecting side ( the "application" ) can
send the connection info for it's server to the receiving side ( the
"daemon" ).