Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/12/08 20:50:32 UTC

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm

Stas Bekman wrote:
> geoff@apache.org wrote:
>
>> geoff       2003/12/08 11:31:53
>>
>>   Modified:    xs/APR/SockAddr APR__SockAddr.h
>>                xs/maps  apr_functions.map
>>                xs/tables/current/Apache FunctionTable.pm
>>                xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm
>>   Log:
>>   more APR deprecation: apr_sockaddr_port_get and apr_sockaddr_port_set
>

> Hmm, how come there are deprecated? This is from
> apr/include/apr_network_io.h APR_0_9_BRANCH

you need to look at 1.0, of course.  from CHANGES

  *) The following deprecated interfaces have been removed:
     apr_sockaddr_port_get        -> (access directly)
     apr_sockaddr_port_set        -> apr_sockaddr_info_get

> In any case, shouldn't these function be replaced with new equivalents
> rather than being removed?

apr_sockaddr_info_get is the replacement for a few things.  however, it's
currently defined as

MODULE=APR::SockAddr
!apr_sockaddr_info_get

and I figured there was a reason for that (I didn't do it).

--Geoff

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>you need to look at 1.0, of course.
>>

>>Why? httpd-2.0 runs with APR_0_9_BRANCH, not 1.0. Or doesn't it?
>

> well, it does for the moment, yes.  but I've been cleaning things up so that
> the perl interfaces to APR are 1.0 compliant.  that was the goal a few
> months ago, IIRC.  it also keeps mod_perl compiling with 2.1, which I
> thought we had agreed was a worthy goal so long as we could keep 2.0 running
> at the same time.

Sure, as long as we don't just drop things.

> since none of these changes affect our ability to interact with httpd 2.0, I
> thought it was safe to remove them.  this all assumes that the APR::
> interfaces are focused on 1.0 compatibility and not 0.9 (which was my
> assumption).

httpd-2.0, yes. Not apr. I'm not sure how important for us to have a complete
APR:: glue (at least for functions that could be useful for perl users) asap.
I'm fine with not having this as a priority as a moment, only spending time on
APR:: APIs which are really useful in the mod_perl context. Until someone will
start using APR:: outside mod_perl and then they hopefully will lead the
effort to add/fix missing/broken things in APR::.

>>In any case should we log that
>>somewhere in todo lists till someone asks for it and we don't have to
>>try to recall why it's not there?
>

> it's pretty obvious why it's not there if you look at the maps, which I tend
> to do all the time now.  but if you want to log it that's fine.

Hmm, how is it obvious if you have removed those functions from the map file,
instead of marking them as disabled? I'm sure the map files miss quite a few
of the C functions, so you can't just say that if it's not in the map file
it's because it's disabled.

As a C user wanting to use a function apr_sockaddr_port_get in Perl, I'll grep
the mp2 source for it and won't find it mentioned anywhere... well, I'll in
Changes...

>>It'd be also nice to add explanations in the map file, why certain
>>functions are marked with '!'. Perhaps ask Doug?
>

> you can if you like :)

what I meant is that since you said you're going to check why that function is
  '!' once you figure out, cache that info in the comment so that we don't
have to repeat that process in the future. Just like with C function API docs,
we don't have the resources to go and them to all functions, but adding them
as we write new functions or after spending some time trying to wrap our head
around to understand what an existing function does, is a doable thing.

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>>> Hmm, how come there are deprecated? This is from
>>> apr/include/apr_network_io.h APR_0_9_BRANCH
>>

>> you need to look at 1.0, of course.
>

> Why? httpd-2.0 runs with APR_0_9_BRANCH, not 1.0. Or doesn't it?

well, it does for the moment, yes.  but I've been cleaning things up so that
the perl interfaces to APR are 1.0 compliant.  that was the goal a few
months ago, IIRC.  it also keeps mod_perl compiling with 2.1, which I
thought we had agreed was a worthy goal so long as we could keep 2.0 running
at the same time.

since none of these changes affect our ability to interact with httpd 2.0, I
thought it was safe to remove them.  this all assumes that the APR::
interfaces are focused on 1.0 compatibility and not 0.9 (which was my
assumption).

>> MODULE=APR::SockAddr
>> !apr_sockaddr_info_get
>>
>> and I figured there was a reason for that (I didn't do it).
>

> May be it was disabled because the other functions (that you've now
> removed) gave that information already?

perhaps.  I'll look into whether that function can be opened up.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>geoff@apache.org wrote:
>>

>>>geoff       2003/12/08 11:31:53
>>>
>>>  Modified:    xs/APR/SockAddr APR__SockAddr.h
>>>               xs/maps  apr_functions.map
>>>               xs/tables/current/Apache FunctionTable.pm
>>>               xs/tables/current/ModPerl FunctionTable.pm
>>>  Log:
>>>  more APR deprecation: apr_sockaddr_port_get and apr_sockaddr_port_set
>>

>>Hmm, how come there are deprecated? This is from
>>apr/include/apr_network_io.h APR_0_9_BRANCH
>

> you need to look at 1.0, of course.

Why? httpd-2.0 runs with APR_0_9_BRANCH, not 1.0. Or doesn't it?

As you can see it was never deprecated, they just yanked the functions...

 > from CHANGES

>   *) The following deprecated interfaces have been removed:
>      apr_sockaddr_port_get        -> (access directly)
>      apr_sockaddr_port_set        -> apr_sockaddr_info_get
>

>>In any case, shouldn't these function be replaced with new equivalents
>>rather than being removed?
>

> apr_sockaddr_info_get is the replacement for a few things.  however, it's
> currently defined as
>
> MODULE=APR::SockAddr
> !apr_sockaddr_info_get
>
> and I figured there was a reason for that (I didn't do it).

May be it was disabled because the other functions (that you've now removed)
gave that information already? In any case should we log that somewhere in