Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stavros Kounis <go...@osmosis.gr> on 2003/07/02 13:12:31 UTC

cocoon as command line utility

hi people

i have a mySQL running local

i want to get data from this dataBase into XML format
tranform this XML using XSLT several times into XML format and then save
the final XML in file system

is it possible to use cocoon for this

if i have not to make sql queries and get data from a database
i will be able to do my job using xalan

if its possible can anyoone give me references to online howto or
tutorials?

is cocoon command line capability what i'm looking for ?

thnx stavros

Re: cocoon as command line utility

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Hi Stavros,

The Cocoon command line can be used to do this. Whether you want to is another
thing. It is generally intended to be used to generate sites, and you might find your
own tool using Xalan might be simpler. However, if you want to use the command line
interface (CLI) then...

> i have a mySQL running local
>
> i want to get data from this dataBase into XML format
> tranform this XML using XSLT several times into XML format and then
> save the final XML in file system

To do this with the CLI, you'll need to use Cocoon 2.1. The 2.0 CLI cannot connect to
databases, because you cannot specify the 'load-classes' parameter.

> if i have not to make sql queries and get data from a database
> i will be able to do my job using xalan

You would have to set up a Cocoon pipeline that requests your information from
MySQL, and transforms it into your resultant XML. You would debug the system first
by using Cocoon installed as a servlet and testing it using a browser.

If you want to generate multiple XML files, you'd be best of creating an index HTML
page that has links to all of your XML files. That way you can start at that HTML page
and tell the CLI to follow all of its links, thus generating each of your XML files, and
then saving them to disc.

> if its possible can anyoone give me references to online howto or
> tutorials?

There is some info on the 2.1 CLI at:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CommandLine

> is cocoon command line capability what i'm looking for ?

Possibly.

Regards, Upayavira