Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by heith seewald <he...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/02 16:24:04 UTC

Landing Page

I have some ideas I'd like to bounce off you guys about the allura landing
page and logo. I collaborated with two designer friends to come up with
these ideas. Perry <http://perrymerrity.com/> came up the design for the
landing page and Will <http://willleonard.org/> came up with a few logos to
go along with it.

Here is a prototype landing page complete with a potential logo:

https://allura-test.appspot.com

Here are other potential logos:

https://allura-test.appspot.com/logos

The breakdown:

These prototypes are trying to communicate the idea that...

Allura is active, powerful, reliable... and maybe even fun!

Orange is a confident and optimistic color that invokes exuberance and
vitality.

Blue is often perceived as dependable and strong.

The combination of orange with blue accents strikes a good balance between
modern/fun and dependable/powerful.

Aesthetics aside, I believe we would also benefit from updating
descriptions and feature breakdowns -- really emphasize the areas we're
better than competing platforms/services.

To say Allura has Batteries included is an understatement :)  Maybe we can
talk about some of them?

We could also talk about how Allura integrates well with other tools or
existing workflows... The kind of things that will make peoples lives
easier!

Any thoughts?

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hey Heith,

 this is pretty amazing, congrats on the great job!

> I have some ideas I'd like to bounce off you guys about the allura landing
> page and logo. I collaborated with two designer friends to come up with
> these ideas. Perry <http://perrymerrity.com/> came up the design for the
> landing page and Will <http://willleonard.org/> came up with a few logos
> go along with it.
>
> Here is a prototype landing page complete with a potential logo:
>
> https://allura-test.appspot.com

simple, clean and cute, love it!

> Here are other potential logos:
>
> https://allura-test.appspot.com/logos

My favorite is #2

> The breakdown:
>
> These prototypes are trying to communicate the idea that...
>
> Allura is active, powerful, reliable... and maybe even fun!
>
> Orange is a confident and optimistic color that invokes exuberance and
> vitality.
>
> Blue is often perceived as dependable and strong.
>
> The combination of orange with blue accents strikes a good balance between
> modern/fun and dependable/powerful.
>

> Aesthetics aside, I believe we would also benefit from updating
> descriptions and feature breakdowns -- really emphasize the areas we're
> better than competing platforms/services.
>
> To say Allura has Batteries included is an understatement :)  Maybe we can
> talk about some of them?
>
> We could also talk about how Allura integrates well with other tools or
> existing workflows... The kind of things that will make peoples lives
> easier!
>
> Any thoughts?

I'd like us to have a section dedicated to case studies, where we could
host stories about successful implementations.

Roberto

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Tim Van Steenburgh <tv...@gmail.com>.
I just want to be the first to say…awesome! Love it.

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
Il venerdì 3 aprile 2015, Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> ha scritto:

> On 4/2/15 10:24 AM, heith seewald wrote:
> > I have some ideas I'd like to bounce off you guys about the allura
> landing
> > page and logo. I collaborated with two designer friends to come up with
> > these ideas. Perry <http://perrymerrity.com/> came up the design for the
> > landing page and Will <http://willleonard.org/> came up with a few
> logos to
> > go along with it.
> >
> > Here is a prototype landing page complete with a potential logo:
> >
> > https://allura-test.appspot.com
> >

> Awesome.  So much better than our current page :)
>
> My only questions would be to confirm the contribution.  That is, make sure
> background image, icons, and CSS framework (flex.min.css) are
> contributions that
> Perry has rights to.  Or that they are under an Apache-friendly license.

Good point.

> Besides that, I say we switch to this right away.  It looks
> straightforward for
> us to maintain long-term as we make releases, update text, etc.
>
> > Here are other potential logos:
> >
> > https://allura-test.appspot.com/logos
>
> I like how the wide one looks on the new website.  The first or second are
> more
> square and could be used in other situations.  Maybe we adopt two
> variations
> that we use depending on the size needed.

Usually this is not a good choice, brand-wise, unless the only difference
is size.

Roberto

Re: Landing Page

Posted by heith seewald <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, I'll be sure to pass it
forward!  I'll also go ahead and make this iteration live while we
continue to refine the aesthetic.

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com>.
Looks really cool! So much better then what we have now :)

Re: Landing Page

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <wa...@riotousliving.com>.
On Thu, Apr 2, 2015, at 10:24 AM, heith seewald wrote:
> I have some ideas I'd like to bounce off you guys about the allura
> landing
> page and logo. I collaborated with two designer friends to come up with
> these ideas. Perry <http://perrymerrity.com/> came up the design for the
> landing page and Will <http://willleonard.org/> came up with a few logos
> go along with it.

This is really great. Thanks a lot.

> Here is a prototype landing page complete with a potential logo:
>
> https://allura-test.appspot.com

I like it, nice work.

> Here are other potential logos:
>
> https://allura-test.appspot.com/logos

I really like the first two options, more compact, they look great.

> The breakdown:
>
> These prototypes are trying to communicate the idea that...
>
> Allura is active, powerful, reliable... and maybe even fun!
>
> Orange is a confident and optimistic color that invokes exuberance and
> vitality.
>
> Blue is often perceived as dependable and strong.
>
> The combination of orange with blue accents strikes a good balance
> between
> modern/fun and dependable/powerful.

I really like the color choices.

> Aesthetics aside, I believe we would also benefit from updating
> descriptions and feature breakdowns -- really emphasize the areas we're
> better than competing platforms/services.
>
> To say Allura has Batteries included is an understatement :)  Maybe we
> can
> talk about some of them?
>
> We could also talk about how Allura integrates well with other tools or
> existing workflows... The kind of things that will make peoples lives
> easier!
>
> Any thoughts?

Nice work. Thanks for reaching out to some friends, glad someone finally
took this and just got it done. I'm not a designer myself, so I don't
have any specific critiques, it looks a heck of a lot better than I
could of done.

--
  Wayne Witzel III
  wayne@riotousliving.com