Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tom Bean <to...@changingworkplace.com> on 2013/01/09 09:49:43 UTC

Cloudstack Xen Host High Availability and Fencing

Hi All,

I have stumbled across an issue/feature with Cloudstack (3.0.2) yesterday
which was a little worrying.

I was working on a primary storage which was added through Cloudstack but
had no VM's stored on it, so I did not think this would cause any issues.

While I was working on this storage device, it became unavailable for around
5 minutes, when it became unavailable all my Xen servers fenced, rebooted
and all my VM's shut down and one Xen server has now become corrupted.

I have tested this again on a second pool I have in cloudstack and when the
primary storage becomes unavailable all the Hosts reboot.

What I want to know is:

1.    Is there any way to disable this?

2.    It seems that in a pool where I have 5 storage repositories, if any of
them become unavailable, all of the hosts shut down. Is there a way to
specify the heart beat files be stored on a specific primary SR?

Tom Bean

Infrastructure & Support Analyst

The Changing Workplace

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

Skype:

Address:

Website:

News:

+44 (0)1444 44 1000 ext 316

+44 (0)1444 44 0944

 <ma...@changingworkplace.com> tom.bean@changingworkplace.com

Contact me via  <skype:thomas.bean.cwp?chat> Skype

1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1BY, United Kingdom

 <http://www.changingworkplace.com/> changingworkplace.com

Sign up for
<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=wbsdkygab&p=oi&m=110676998
7638> our newsletter

 <https://twitter.com/#%21/The_CWP> Description:
C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom
Bean_files\image001.gif <http://facebook.com/TheChangingWorkplace>
Bean_files\image002.gif
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-changing-workplace> Description:
C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom
Bean_files\image003.gif

Changing the world we work in by providing best-in-class software services
to the Corporate Real Estate sector

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Important Information

This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential and/or privileged and are intended solely for the named recipient/s. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this email. You should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.

The Changing Workplace cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this e-mail as it has been transmitted over a public network and Internet communications are not secure.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where specifically stated to be the view of The Changing Workplace. All statements made in this e-mail are subject to contract. The contents are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance. The sender is not authorised to bind The Changing Workplace contractually.

The Changing Workplace cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with your systems and does not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.

The Changing Workplace is a limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 3614433 whose registered office is at 1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 1BY, United Kingdom.

Re: Cloudstack Xen Host High Availability and Fencing

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Please raise a bug nevertheless. And others with this issue, please add
votes.

Posted by Arnaud Gaillard <ar...@xtendsys.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Tom Bean <to...@changingworkplace.com>.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for this, that seemed to stop the rebooting on my dev pool.

Do you know why it would be an advantage to fence off the Xen Servers?

Tom Bean

Infrastructure & Support Analyst

The Changing Workplace

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

Skype:

Address:

Website:

News:

+44 (0)1444 44 1000 ext 316

+44 (0)1444 44 0944

tom.bean@changingworkplace.com

Contact me via Skype <skype:thomas.bean.cwp?chat>

Sign up for our newsletter<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=wbsdkygab&p=oi&m=1106769987638>

[Description: C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom Bean_files\image001.gif]<https://twitter.com/#%21/The_CWP>[Description: C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom Bean_files\image002.gif]<http://facebook.com/TheChangingWorkplace>[Description: C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom Bean_files\image003.gif]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-changing-workplace>

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.