Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/04 15:53:09 UTC

Node manager or Resource Manager crash

Hi,
  I am running an application on a 2-node cluster, which tries to acquire
all the containers that are available on one of those nodes and remaining
containers from the other node in the cluster. When I run this application
continuously in a loop, one of the NM or RM is getting killed at a random
point. There is no corresponding message in the log files.

One of the times that NM had got killed today, the tail of the it's log is
like this:

2014-03-04 02:42:44,386 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.NodeStatusUpdaterImpl:
isredeng:52867 sending out status for 16 containers
2014-03-04 02:42:44,386 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.NodeStatusUpdaterImpl: Node's
health-status : true,

And at the time of NM's crash, the RM's log has the following entries:

2014-03-04 02:42:40,371 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.rmnode.RMNodeImpl: Processing
isredeng:52867 of type STATUS_UPDATE
2014-03-04 02:42:40,371 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.yarn.event.AsyncDispatcher:
Dispatching the event
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.event.NodeUpdateSchedulerEvent.EventType:
NODE_UPDATE
2014-03-04 02:42:40,371 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: IPC Server
Responder: responding to
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.api.ResourceTrackerPB.nodeHeartbeat from
9.70.137.184:33696 Call#14060 Retry#0 Wrote 40 bytes.
2014-03-04 02:42:40,371 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.capacity.CapacityScheduler:
nodeUpdate: isredeng:52867 clusterResources:
<memory:16384, vCores:16>
2014-03-04 02:42:40,371 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.capacity.CapacityScheduler:
Node being looked for scheduling isredeng:52867
availableResource: <memory:0, vCores:-8>
2014-03-04 02:42:40,393 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server:  got #151

Note: the name of the node on which NM has got killed is isredeng, does it
indicate anything from the above message as to why it got killed?

Thanks,
Kishore

Re: Node manager or Resource Manager crash

Posted by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com>.
Vinod,

  One more observation I can share is that all the times the NM or RM is
getting killed, I see the following kind of messages in the NM's log

2014-03-05 05:33:23,824 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.NodeStatusUpdaterImpl: Node's
health-status : true,
2014-03-05 05:33:23,824 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client: IPC Client
(2132631259) connection to isredeng/9.70.137.184:8031 from kbonagir sending
2014-03-05 05:33:23,826 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client: IPC Client
(2132631259) connection to isredeng/9.70.137.184:8031 from kbonagir got
value #5391
2014-03-05 05:33:23,826 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine:
Call: nodeHeartbeat took 2ms

Does that give any clue? Something going wrong while it is getting a node's
health?

Thanks,
Kishore

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org

Posted by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com>.
Yes Vinod, I was asking this question sometime back, and I got back to
resolve the issue again.

I tried to see if the OOM is killing but it is not. I have checked the free
swap  space on my box while my test is going on, but it doesn't seem to be
the issue. Also, I  have verified if OOM score is going high for any of
these process because that is when OOM killer kills them, but they are not
going high too.

Posted by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <wr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Node manager or Resource Manager crash

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Node manager or Resource Manager crash

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Node manager or Resource Manager crash

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE