Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David James <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/08 22:26:12 UTC

svn merge silently reverts changes to renamed files

If you rename a file, change the content of it, and then revert the
rename, Subversion will also silently revert the content changes. This
seems to be a bug. Here's a reproduction recipe.

Reproduction recipe (attached as recipe.txt):
 svnadmin create repo
 svn co file://`pwd`/repo wc
 cd wc
 echo Hello World > file.txt && svn add file.txt && svn commit -m
"Adding file.txt"
 svn mv file.txt file2.txt && svn commit -m "Renaming file.txt"
 echo Goodbye World > file2.txt && svn commit -m "Changing content of
file2.txt"
 svn merge -r2:1 . && svn commit -m "Reverting rename of file2.txt"
 cat file.txt

Expected Output: Goodbye World
Actual Output: Hello World

For a real-world example of a merge corrupted by this bug, see r16540.
I asked Subversion to revert r16529, but Subversion also silently
reverted portions of r16536.

Cheers,

David
--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: svn merge silently reverts changes to renamed files

Posted by Chia-liang Kao <cl...@clkao.org>.
David James <james82 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> If you rename a file, change the content of it, and then revert the
> rename, Subversion will also silently revert the content changes. This
> seems to be a bug. Here's a reproduction recipe.

FYI,
The problem itself and how svk solves it is described in
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-08/0812.shtml

Cheers,
CLK