Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rob Slifka <ro...@tintri.com> on 2009/10/16 20:15:53 UTC

Hosting a local repo w/out a Repo Manager?

Hi all,
I'm working on wrapping my head around setting up an internal "blessed"
repository and being assured that Maven will fail when a dependency is not
found there.

(1) Clear my local repo.
(2) Run Maven through our lifecycle (clean, compile, package, test, etc.).
(3) Take the contents of my now-populated local repo and copy them up to a
shared location.

Now I'm not sure what to do next.  I've tried overriding both the central
repo and plugin repo with my local repo in our POMs, however this
consistently seems to ignore plugins that are found in my internal repo
(i.e. claim they aren't there when they are).  It also attempts to check for
updates to plugins that aren't -SNAPSHOT versions and I'm not sure quite
why.

Given the trouble I'm having, I'm pretty sure I'm way off the reservation
here with what and how I'm doing this.  Looking inside the repo, there are
central XML files that Maven is probably surprised to find inside the local
repo?

I'm not terribly interested in adding another piece of software to our build
environment, hence my avoidance of a Repository Manager.  We have a very
small number of dependencies outside of our project.  Maven's own
dependencies dwarf ours :)

Any tips are much appreciated, thanks!

Rob

Re: Hosting a local repo w/out a Repo Manager?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
> I'd like to think of a repo manager as "part of using maven 2".

I like a better analogy. You can share source code with a shared
folder on a server, but no one does that anymore. They use a tool
called  Source Control. A repo manager is scm for your binaries. ;-)

We have a nexus list if you want to ask specific questions about using
nexus and maven together:
http://nexus.sonatype.org/project-information.html

Re: Hosting a local repo w/out a Repo Manager?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
great minds think alike... fools seldom differ

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Rob S." <ro...@tintri.com>.
Hi Larry,

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lacoste, Dana (TSG Software San Diego)" <da...@hp.com>.
I'm using artifactory to do this and do it with two sets of "virtual" repositories.

One is used to download anything, the other is used for only "blessed" builds.

I haven't used Nexus, but I'm sure there's something similar: basically it would mean
that you have one set of settings.xml configuration for your "blessed" build machine,
and another set for those who need internet access.

Dana Lacoste

Posted by Rob Slifka <ro...@tintri.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Robert Slifka <ro...@tintri.com>.
Thanks so much Quintin, I don't expect to have any more questions!

Have a good weekend everyone, and thanks for the help.

Rob

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Rob Slifka <ro...@tintri.com>.
Alright, alright! :)

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.
So you don't drown in all this kool-aid being sloshed at you - think of it another way.

I'd like to think of a repo manager as "part of using maven 2".

Build infrastructures are no longer "sprinkle make all over the place and glue it all together with perl".

They've evolved greatly since those days....

Re: Hosting a local repo w/out a Repo Manager?

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
I'm with the repo manager. I also went the local repo route, and it
was alot of hassle, until someone recommended Nexus. I downloaded and
was setup in 10 minutes (just start it and use the gui to configure
it). I should have done this from the start.

Further, overriding your repos in the POM just so they're local
creates an upgrade problem. When you want to upgrade you have to first
reconfigure all your dependencies, update, and revert to the "local"
config. With the repository manager you can configure the repositories
on the manager, configure your POM to talk to the manager (which can
be a server or localhost), and configure the manager to update only
when you want it to.

It's really very easy. Have a look at Nexus and there is a free online
book (linked from the Nexus site). It's brilliantly easy and
brilliantly brilliant.

Quintin Beukes

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
Thats the thing. Using a repo manager is the simplest way to host a
local repo. It would take you far longer and much more maintenance on
your part to try and set it up yourself.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by Rob Slifka <ro...@tintri.com>.
Hi Todd,

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Rob Slifka <ro...@tintri.com> wrote:
> I'm working on wrapping my head around setting up an internal "blessed"
> repository and being assured that Maven will fail when a dependency is not
> found there.
>
> (1) Clear my local repo.
> (2) Run Maven through our lifecycle (clean, compile, package, test, etc.).
> (3) Take the contents of my now-populated local repo and copy them up to a
> shared location.

The local repository format is not the same as the remote repo format.
 The metadata is different, which is probably why you're having
trouble with plugins.

You've already heard why a repo manager is a good thing. :)  But to
start out, you just use a directory exposed through an existing web
server or a network share that's visible to everyone.  In
settings.xml, (or pom.xml) redefine the repository with
<id>central</id> to some other url.

You can use 'mvn deploy:deploy-file ...' to deploy artifacts to your
remote repo with the correct format and metadata.

--
Wendy