Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Dong Liu <ed...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/29 01:27:40 UTC

[axis2]wsdl and the implementation of a service

Hi, developers,

If there is a wsdl file for a service, how to check whether the wsdl
file is consistent with its implementation on the server side? This
problem is trivial for the wsdl's generated from the java code, but it
is not for top-down development approaches.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Don

Re: [axis2]wsdl and the implementation of a service

Posted by Dong Liu <ed...@gmail.com>.
The scenario is the following:

We generate java code based on a wsdl file given by other developer,
and implement the skeleton using OM classes without detailed binding
like XMLBean. Then we can test the service using a client based on the
stub. However, this does not ensure that the client written by other
developers based on the same wsdl. What I can think now is to generate
a testing message case based on the message schema in wsdl file, and
test the service by sending the message using some ant script. Maybe
this message and/or other similar messages are good place to start for
validation.

Cheers,

Don

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Dong Liu <ed...@gmail.com>.
I am thinking about an approach for test-driven top-down development
of web services. The steps are
1. create a message schema
2. generate an soap instance of that schema
3. generate the wsdl based on that schema
4. generate the server side code based on the wsdl and implement the logic
5. test the the service endpoint using the soap message
6. update the schema and repeat steps from 1 to 5

So far, I found a tool for testing a service endpoint using messages,
which is web service console. And I am looking for a tool to generate
soap message instances based on an xml schema, and also a tool to
generate a wsdl based on the schema. Any experience related to these
activities?

Cheers,

Don

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.