Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/12/23 16:50:39 UTC

Min/MaxSpareThreads

The docs claim that MinSpareThreads defaults to 250, and MaxSpareThreads
defaults to 500, for the worker MPM. However the dist config file lists
25 and 75. This latter seems more in line with the docs for
ThreadsPerChild, which list 25 threads per child as the default. I've
been pawing through the code, but I'm not having much luck locating
where these default values are set. All I can find is a place where
min_spare_threads is set to 1 if it is 0 or less in the config, and
similar things for the other above-listed directives. I can't find any
actual default values listed. If someone could point me in the right
direction, or tell me whether the docs or the default config are correct
on this point, that would be helpful. Thanks.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide

Re: Min/MaxSpareThreads

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Andr� Malo wrote:

> * Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > The docs claim that MinSpareThreads defaults to 250, and MaxSpareThreads
> > defaults to 500, for the worker MPM. However the dist config file lists
> > 25 and 75. This latter seems more in line with the docs for
> <snip>
>
> Oh, sorry. Fixed it yesterday already with the huge MPM docs update ;-)
> Just update your local repository, it should be right then.

Oh. Thanks. I missed that.

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.

Re: Min/MaxSpareThreads

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Rich Bowen wrote:

> The docs claim that MinSpareThreads defaults to 250, and MaxSpareThreads
> defaults to 500, for the worker MPM. However the dist config file lists
> 25 and 75. This latter seems more in line with the docs for
<snip>

Oh, sorry. Fixed it yesterday already with the huge MPM docs update ;-)
Just update your local repository, it should be right then.

(still has to be checked out online).

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #

Re: Min/MaxSpareThreads

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> The docs claim that MinSpareThreads defaults to 250, and MaxSpareThreads
> defaults to 500, for the worker MPM. However the dist config file lists
> 25 and 75. This latter seems more in line with the docs for
> ThreadsPerChild, which list 25 threads per child as the default. I've
> been pawing through the code, but I'm not having much luck locating
> where these default values are set. All I can find is a place where
> min_spare_threads is set to 1 if it is 0 or less in the config, and
> similar things for the other above-listed directives. I can't find any
> actual default values listed. If someone could point me in the right
> direction, or tell me whether the docs or the default config are correct
> on this point, that would be helpful. Thanks.

IRC transcript follows:

<Rias> L1914 worker.c
<DrBacchus> Rias: Ahhhh.
<DrBacchus> And what are those set to
<Rias> #define DEFAULT_MIN_FREE_DAEMON 3
<Rias> #define DEFAULT_THREADS_PER_CHILD 25
<DrBacchus> Rias: Where the heck is that?
<Rias> in mpm_default.h
<DrBacchus> Oh, mpm_default. Got it.
<Rias> #define DEFAULT_MAX_FREE_DAEMON 10
<Rias> so 75 and 250
<DrBacchus> OK. So neither the docs nor the default config are correct.
<DrBacchus> Good.
<Rias> nope
<Rias> :)
<Rias> that's not good ;)