Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mortee <mo...@kavemalna.hu> on 2011/09/08 11:41:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy SSL forward proxy

Hello,

Is there a way to enable both SSLEngine and plain HTTP forward proxying
on the same port / virtual host?

To be specific, I want my Apache to serve usual HTTPS on port 443, but
also act as a proxy server using the ProxyRequests directive on the same
port. That's because I don't have another IP address so I have to use
the same, and I want to use my server for CONNECT tunneling, which is
restricted to port 443 by the corporate firewall.

thx
mortee

Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy SSL forward proxy

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 9/21/2011 5:32 PM, mortee wrote:

> Any ideas about this topic?
>
> On 09/08/2011 11:41, mortee wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to enable both SSLEngine and plain HTTP forward proxying
>> on the same port / virtual host?
>>
>> To be specific, I want my Apache to serve usual HTTPS on port 443, but
>> also act as a proxy server using the ProxyRequests directive on the same
>> port. That's because I don't have another IP address so I have to use
>> the same, and I want to use my server for CONNECT tunneling, which is
>> restricted to port 443 by the corporate firewall.

You can only connect to a given port as plain http or as ssl/tls https.

You can enable upgrade on the plain http connection; no (or very few)
browsers support this semantic (rfc2817).

You can CONNECT once you've established any of these connnections to
either crypted or unencrypted backends.  You can proxy requests to http,
https, or even ftp servers once you established any of these connections.

So set up 443 as a crypted proxy, end of story.

Re: [users@httpd] Antw.: [users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy SSL forward proxy

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM,  <Ro...@swisscom.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 02:12, Eric Covener wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, mortee<mo...@kavemalna.hu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Any ideas about this topic?
>>
>> Can't do it.
>
> Why is it sooo really impossible? It can recognise a plain HTTP request
> attempt on the SSL port, and it can return a reasonable error message.
> Then what's the main reason it can't just handle the request?

Patches welcome.

[users@httpd] Antw.: [users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy SSL forward proxy

Posted by Ro...@swisscom.com.

Gesendet mit meinem HTC

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
Nobody has spent their time implementing such a thing, so you cannot do it.

Posted by mortee <mo...@kavemalna.hu>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, mortee <mo...@kavemalna.hu> wrote:

> Any ideas about this topic?