Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Alsop <Ti...@cybersafe.ltd.uk> on 2004/05/09 09:37:46 UTC

Repository version on Redhat ?

Hi,

I have a repository which I need to access so I installed the latest
(1.0.2) version of subversion with Apache 2.0.48, but I had an error in
the Apache log when I tried to access the repository files :

(84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Expected version
'3' of repository; found version '1'  [500, #165005]

I therefore tried to find an older version of subversion and the oldest
version I could find was 0.32.1 so I installed this, but I now get :

(84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Expected version
'2' of repository; found version '1'  [500, #165005]

So, it looks like I need an even older version in order to be able to
access this repository. I did some research and I think I need 0.27.0,
but I cannot find the redhat rpm version of this product anywhere on the
Internet. Can anybody help me find the rpm's I need to install this
version of subversion ? Or perhaps there is an alternative solution ?

Help !

Thanks, Tim.

Re: Repository version on Redhat ?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Tim Alsop wrote:
> So, it looks like I need an even older version in order to be able to
> access this repository. I did some research and I think I need 0.27.0,
> but I cannot find the redhat rpm version of this product anywhere on the
> Internet. Can anybody help me find the rpm’s I need to install this
> version of subversion ? Or perhaps there is an alternative solution ?

What you should do is not try and get an entire RPM, but rather just a copy of
svnadmin from 0.27 in order to dump the repository so you can load it into the
current release.  You should not run with the older version, since there are
many months of improvements since then.

I thought that at least some of the RPM's contained static binaries of earlier
svnadmin releases, for exactly this purpose.  You might search on your drive for
something like svnadmin-0.27 or svnadmin-static-0.27.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Repository version on Redhat ?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 04:37, Tim Alsop wrote:

>  access this repository. I did some research and I think I need
> 0.27.0, but I cannot find the redhat rpm version of this product
> anywhere on the Internet.

Why on earth would you set up an alpha version of Subversion as your
server?  Yikes.  Just don't do that!

>  Can anybody help me find the rpm’s I need to install this version of
> subversion ? Or perhaps there is an alternative solution ?

Go to the 'downloads' page of subversion.tigris.org and grab 1.0.2 rpms
for your version of redhat.

Re: Repository version on Redhat ?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 09:46, Max Bowsher wrote:

> > So, it looks like I need an even older version in order to be able to
> > access this repository. I did some research and I think I need 0.27.0

Whoops, sorry for misunderstanding.  The other folks are right;  you
just need to build a 0.27 svnadmin from source, use it to create a
dumpfile, then upgrade everything to 1.0.2 and use 'svnadmin load' to
create a modern repository.

Here's the HOWTO document that explains the data migration process:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

And here's the URL to the 0.27 source tarball:

http://subversion.tigris.org/tarballs/subversion-0.27.0.tar.gz

Re: Repository version on Redhat ?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Tim Alsop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a repository which I need to access so I installed the latest
> (1.0.2) version of subversion with Apache 2.0.48, but I had an error in
> the Apache log when I tried to access the repository files :
>
> (84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Expected version
> '3' of repository; found version '1'  [500, #165005]
>
> I therefore tried to find an older version of subversion and the oldest
> version I could find was 0.32.1 so I installed this, but I now get :
>
> (84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Expected version
> '2' of repository; found version '1'  [500, #165005]
>
> So, it looks like I need an even older version in order to be able to
> access this repository. I did some research and I think I need 0.27.0,
> but I cannot find the redhat rpm version of this product anywhere on the
> Internet. Can anybody help me find the rpm’s I need to install this
> version of subversion ? Or perhaps there is an alternative solution ?

It's going to be difficult at best to find such an old precompiled
version. You should consider installing db4, neon, apr & apr-util
development RPMs, and then building subversion 0.27 from source.

Max.