Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Patrik Iselind <pa...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/18 10:52:40 UTC

Version controlling the interpreter configurations

Hi everyone,

I'm using Zeppelin through a docker image. In this setup, I'd like to
version control my conf/interpreters.json file along with my Dockerfile and
other related files. This I can of course do already. There's a problem
related to this though.

When setting for example the AWS credentials in the interpreter
configuration, then I'm forced to write them out in clear text. I really
don't want to version control the credentials!

I've tried setting AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID to "${AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID_VAL}" but that
doesn't work. It will not expand. Setting AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID to
"${AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID}",
will not work as it will expand recursively.

For this reason I think it would be great if Zeppelin support
configurations that are of the type "expandable string" which would read
from the environment to expand the variable values once. That would allow
me to version control my interpreters.json without having to include my AWS
credentials.

Using the "password" type will only hide the password in the UI, it's still
cleartext in the interpreter.json file.

Do you see some other solution that might work here?

Best Regards,
Patrik Iselind

Re: Version controlling the interpreter configurations

Posted by Patrik Iselind <pa...@gmail.com>.
I managed to create the account now.

I've created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4825
and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4826
for the problems I've mentioned in this thread.

Patrik Iselind

Posted by Patrik Iselind <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: Version controlling the interpreter configurations

Posted by Patrik Iselind <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, for the hints.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: Version controlling the interpreter configurations

Posted by Patrik Iselind <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards