Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/27 23:59:31 UTC

[protocols] Blog Feed...?

one my personal ambitions for the mailet 3 API is a broader interface
that allows more than just RFC822 documents to be mailed. james
already supports news (in an unintegrated fashion). i find myself
increasingly seeing blogs as mail, wanted to be able to grab a feed
and refer to it later.

so, i'd like to add a feed fetcher to James (a bit like fetchpop)
probably supported only by JCR initially (since that's what i'd like
to use) with no processing integration as yet

opinions?

- robert

Re: [protocols] Blog Feed...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> one my personal ambitions for the mailet 3 API is a broader interface
>> that allows more than just RFC822 documents to be mailed. james
>> already supports news (in an unintegrated fashion). i find myself
>> increasingly seeing blogs as mail, wanted to be able to grab a feed
>> and refer to it later.
>
> I guess you mean "blog posts" as "mail" and not "blogs" as "mail", right?

yep

> And maybe "blog url" as "mail address" and "blog" as "mailbox"...

yep :-)

>> so, i'd like to add a feed fetcher to James (a bit like fetchpop)
>> probably supported only by JCR initially (since that's what i'd like
>> to use) with no processing integration as yet
>
> so you mean an input channel, not an output channel.

input channel for now but mail output to Atom would be cool too
(should be easy enough to create an adapter mailet)

> I'm not sure what should the JAMES approach be wrt integration: do we
> want to replicate Apache Camel?

James already does some of what services buses like Camel can do.
replacing the current spool manager with Camel would bring a lot of
advantages.

> What are the main differences between
> what we'd like to do and what Camel already does?

i've been thinking about this a lot

james is a bus for Mail (big 'M'). Mail is defined by the Mailet API.
ATM this definition only really allows JavaMail mail but this already
excludes news.

i would the Mailet 3.0 API to support a much wider range of messages
(but not as wide as general service buses such as Camel. i see mail
about being about MIME-typed documents with meta-data.

- robert

Re: [protocols] Blog Feed...?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> one my personal ambitions for the mailet 3 API is a broader interface
> that allows more than just RFC822 documents to be mailed. james
> already supports news (in an unintegrated fashion). i find myself
> increasingly seeing blogs as mail, wanted to be able to grab a feed
> and refer to it later.

I guess you mean "blog posts" as "mail" and not "blogs" as "mail", right?
And maybe "blog url" as "mail address" and "blog" as "mailbox"...

> so, i'd like to add a feed fetcher to James (a bit like fetchpop)
> probably supported only by JCR initially (since that's what i'd like
> to use) with no processing integration as yet

so you mean an input channel, not an output channel.

I'm not sure what should the JAMES approach be wrt integration: do we
want to replicate Apache Camel? What are the main differences between
what we'd like to do and what Camel already does?

In the mean time I leave here 2 links (probably you already have know
them, but as you didn't tell anything about introducing new dependencies
I try with this):
https://rome.dev.java.net/
http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/ (and expecially:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ABDERA-202)