Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2006/03/16 00:00:26 UTC

[logging] testing JCL 1.1 RC6

i'd really like to try to see if we can't chalk off some more tests in
different containers before i move another vote. this means find people
who use JCL and particular containers, plus are willing to test the
release candidate.

we also need to contact downstream users and ask them if they can verify
that JCL 1.1 works for them. that includes tomcat and jboss (i believe
that they have a forked version served from a hacked classloader).

anyone with contacts who'd like to volunteer for any of this?

- robert

Re: [logging] testing JCL 1.1 RC6

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 10:07 +1100, Dion Gillard wrote:
> I use WebSphere 5.1 on a daily basis and can replace the 1.0.4 jar we use
> with 1.1 rc 6 and see how it goes.

that'd be great. thanks.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

On 3/16/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> i'd really like to try to see if we can't chalk off some more tests in
> different containers before i move another vote. this means find people
> who use JCL and particular containers, plus are willing to test the
> release candidate.
>
> we also need to contact downstream users and ask them if they can verify
> that JCL 1.1 works for them. that includes tomcat and jboss (i believe
> that they have a forked version served from a hacked classloader).
>
> anyone with contacts who'd like to volunteer for any of this?
>
> - robert

Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid
of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris

Re: [logging] testing JCL 1.1 RC6

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> i'd really like to try to see if we can't chalk off some more tests in
> different containers before i move another vote. this means find people
> who use JCL and particular containers, plus are willing to test the
> release candidate.

I've posted a message on the struts user list - if theres any feedback
there I'll forward on to this list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40struts.apache.org/msg43169.html

Niall

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 12:35 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/16/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:29 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
> > > If you haven't already, it might be good to invite the Spring folks.
> > > This caught my eye recently on springframework-user:
> > >  * http://www.nabble.com/Can-Spring-work-without-commons-logging--t1253162.html
> >
> > want to make contact or shall i?
>
> Done.
> http://www.nabble.com/-OT-ANN-Jakarta-Commons-Logging-1.1.0-Release-Candidate-6-Available-t1293587.html

Thanks Wendy.

By the way, I was reading the comments on this thread and saw this one:
http://www.nabble.com/Can-Spring-work-without-commons-logging--t1253162.html#a3377962

This is exactly the difference between JCL and SLF4J. SLF4J does not,
and will not, support this scenario. It is because it doesn't even try
to support this feature that it does provide more reliable classloading
behaviour.

I wish there was some way to post a reply to that entry in the forum...

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [logging] testing JCL 1.1 RC6

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 12:35 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/16/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:29 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
> > > If you haven't already, it might be good to invite the Spring folks.
> > > This caught my eye recently on springframework-user:
> > >  * http://www.nabble.com/Can-Spring-work-without-commons-logging--t1253162.html
> >
> > want to make contact or shall i?
>
> Done.
> http://www.nabble.com/-OT-ANN-Jakarta-Commons-Logging-1.1.0-Release-Candidate-6-Available-t1293587.html

cheers

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: [logging] testing JCL 1.1 RC6

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:29 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/15/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > we also need to contact downstream users and ask them if they can verify
> > that JCL 1.1 works for them. that includes tomcat and jboss (i believe
> > that they have a forked version served from a hacked classloader).
>
> If you haven't already, it might be good to invite the Spring folks.
> This caught my eye recently on springframework-user:
>  * http://www.nabble.com/Can-Spring-work-without-commons-logging--t1253162.html

want to make contact or shall i?

> Can you also deploy it to cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository ?
> Or if you don't have a Maven 2 pom for it, at least put it in the m1
> snapshot repository at cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-logging/jars/
> ? That will make it much easier to test.

looks like i'll need to cut an RC7 sometime soon (possible issues with
the documentation) so i'll upload jars when i do so.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.