Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bernd Prager <Be...@RSGSystems.com> on 2004/12/08 22:43:29 UTC

ZipException: Permission denied

While setting up a struts framework on linux (Debian) I have trouble
getting my application to work.
I get two significant error messages and I hope by solving the first
issue the second one disappears.
I use the testing packages on Debian (tomcat4 4.1.30-6 and
libstruts1.1-j 1.1-2).

The first error message is in catalina.log:

Dec 8, 2004 4:24:43 PM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing,
config='org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationResources', returnNull=true
java.util.zip.ZipException: Permission denied
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:112)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:127)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:92)
    at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.setRepositories(WebappLoader.jav
a:1066)
    at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.start(WebappLoader.java:665)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3550
)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.ja
va:821)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.access$000(ContainerBase.java:162
)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$PrivilegedAddChild.run(ContainerB
ase.java:182)

Now I checked the entire tomcat4 directory structure, all files are
owned by tomcat4 and readable.
Tomcat has write access to all project directories. I even checked the
/var/cache/tomcat4 dir.
I scanned the entire box for all existing jar files and confirmed
they're readable as well.
What else could cause that?

The second message is in localhost.log:

2004-12-08 16:24:46 HostConfig[localhost]: Deploying web application
directory register
2004-12-08 16:24:47 ContextConfig[/register] Exception processing JAR at
resource path /WEB-INF/lib/commons-collections.jar
javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception processing JAR at resource
path /WEB-INF/lib/commons-collections.jar
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScanJar(ContextConfig.java:
930)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScan(ContextConfig.java:868
)
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid TLD resource path
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-collections.jar
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScanJar(ContextConfig.java:
898)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScan(ContextConfig.java:868
)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:647)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.j
ava:243)
    at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
pport.java:166)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3587
)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.ja
va:821)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.access$000(ContainerBase.java:162
)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$PrivilegedAddChild.run(ContainerB
ase.java:182)

The application doesn't start of course.

Can anybody please help me here?
Thanks a lot,
-- Bernd