Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Micah Anderson <mi...@riseup.net> on 2008/02/23 23:54:19 UTC

Low scores

I feel like a lot of pretty obvious spams are getting through my system
with appallingly low scores. I'm starting to wonder if something may be
wrong with my setup. Looking at what spam tests did fire, I'm frequently
surprised that more rules didn't fire (obvious lotto scams and nigerian
inheritance scams seem to slip right by) and that the score are
surprisingly low... I'd expect satisfyingly high scores for some of
these, but I'm not seeing them.

I'm looking for people to have a look over these spams and give me some
ideas of some possible areas for improvement (either score adjustments,
configuration tweaks, plugins that I should try, etc.).

The spams can be pulled from here: http://micah.riseup.net/spams

Thanks for any ideas,
micah

Re: Low scores

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 24.02.08 02:15, Matthias Leisi wrote:
> Most (all?) of the samples are forwarded through some debian.org
> mechanism. In order for blacklists to take full effect, you should
> configure your trust path (trusted_networks etc) accordingly.
>
> I suggest to wait and see whether and how it gets better before taking
> any additional steps, but Bayes learning may take you the next half mile.

care of such spams should be done on debian servers. At least mailing lists
do filter spam, and afaik they are very effective. For false negatives see
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#ads
Enter any 12-digit prime number to continue.

Re: Low scores

Posted by micah anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:44:21 -1000, Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:58 AM, micah anderson <mi...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:56:56 -1000, Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Just wanted to add that this particular line is incorrect:
> > > meta SC_HAM (USER_IN_WHITELIST||USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST||
> > > USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO||NO_RELAYS||ALL_TRUSTED||USER_IN_BLACKLIST_TO||
> > > USER_IN_BLACKLIST)
> > >
> > > That will have Blacklisted email filters classified as ham.
> >
> > Interesting, thanks for the reply from an old thread.
> >
> > I got this list from:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ShortcircuitingRuleset which seems
> > to be something that Justin Mason put together. I have CC'd Justin on
> > this email.

> > Which has the difference of also including "SUBJECT_IN_WHITELIST", and
> > "SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST"... but now I am wondering if this is the right
> > thing to do.

I actually removed the SUBJECT_IN rules as this makes it so any
individual user who can whitelist/blacklist a subject can shortcircuit
for everyone.

> > I'm very curious about resolving this, it does seem like a bad setup and
> > it is being taken as gospel from the spamassassin wiki, but perhaps
> > there is something that we are not understanding here that Justin can
> > clarify?
> >

> I'm pretty sure yours is wrong.  You need to take out the the rules which
> apply to Spam in spam short circuiting.

I agree with you, its amazing that this has been wrong on the wiki since
2007! I went to go update the wiki today, and found that you had just
done it. Thanks for doing that!

Micah

Re: Low scores

Posted by Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com>.

As an update to this, I rewrote the rules section of this Wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ShortcircuitingRuleset

- Julian

Re: Low scores

Posted by Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Low scores

Posted by micah anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.

Re: Low scores

Posted by Julian Yap <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Low scores

Posted by Micah Anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.

Re: Low scores

Posted by Matthias Leisi <ma...@leisi.net>.

Re: Low scores

Posted by Micah Anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:52:01 -0800, Loren Wilton wrote:

>> I'm looking for people to have a look over these spams and give me some
>> ideas of some possible areas for improvement (either score adjustments,
>> configuration tweaks, plugins that I should try, etc.).
>>
>> The spams can be pulled from here: http://micah.riseup.net/spams
>
> It appears to me you have just posted the body text for these spams.
> Much of the spam catching is done off of the header information, so
> knowing that would help.

Check again, I posted the entire raw maildir message, which includes the
headers.

> Also, knowing which tests did and didn't hit on your system would give
> us an idea what you might be missing.

You can see which tests hit in the headers of these emails.

> That said, do you use the SARE rules?  There are a number of rules there
> that help catch 419's.

Yes, I am using the openprotect channel.

micah

Re: Low scores

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I'm looking for people to have a look over these spams and give me some
> ideas of some possible areas for improvement (either score adjustments,
> configuration tweaks, plugins that I should try, etc.).
>
> The spams can be pulled from here: http://micah.riseup.net/spams

It appears to me you have just posted the body text for these spams.  Much
of the spam catching is done off of the header information, so knowing that
would help.

Also, knowing which tests did and didn't hit on your system would give us an
idea what you might be missing.

That said, do you use the SARE rules?  There are a number of rules there
that help catch 419's.

        Loren

Re: Low scores

Posted by Micah Anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.
* Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> [080223 13:46]:
> > I feel like a lot of pretty obvious spams are getting through my system
> > with appallingly low scores. I'm starting to wonder if something may be
> > wrong with my setup. Looking at what spam tests did fire, I'm frequently
> > surprised that more rules didn't fire (obvious lotto scams and nigerian
> > inheritance scams seem to slip right by) and that the score are
> > surprisingly low... I'd expect satisfyingly high scores for some of
> > these, but I'm not seeing them.
>
> You using any SARES' rules? If you have the cpu cycles, try that.  Also make
> sure you have latest SpamAssassin and are also running sa-update.  If you
> use sa-compile, make sure you run it every time you update rules.

I'm running version 3.2.3-0.volatile1 on Debian etch (it supposedly
has a number of backported fixes from 3.2.4). I run sa-update every
night on two channels: saupdates.openprotect.com (which contains the
recommended rules in the SARE), and updates.spamassassin.org. If there
is an update, I run sa-compile and then restart spamassassin.

Micah

Re: Low scores

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBsd SpamAssassin Ports maintainer
Charter member, ICSA labs anti-spam consortium

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(tm).
For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com