Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Xing guo Chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net> on 2003/02/01 11:19:34 UTC

[users@httpd] /etc/httpd/conf/ vs /usr/local/apache2/conf/

I have 2 conf files exists in my Redhat 8.0 box.
one is under /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
and another is on /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf

which one should I modify? I tried both. webserver is up and run. but I
could connect to server.

I chose install webserver when I first time set up Red hat 8.0. where
did it install at the first place?

Thank you,

--
Xing guo Chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net>

Re: [users@httpd] /etc/httpd/conf/ vs /usr/local/apache2/conf/

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Xing guo Chen wrote:

>Thanks, I found out it is using /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. but I
>installed apache2 /usr/local/apache2/.
>
>How can I make all related configuration dir to /use/local/apache2 ?

[...]

You can set "ServerRoot /usr/local/apache2", not that I think it's a
good idea.  The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard,
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.7.html, says that local machine
configurations belong under /etc.

	"Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
3.7 /etc : Host-specific system configuration

3.7.1 Purpose
/etc contains configuration files and directories that are specific to
the current system.[footnote 4]"

RH seems to be quirky in its file hierarchy, so when you have a choice,
put yourself on the side of righteousness and use the accepted
standards.
--
gt                                kk5st@sbcglobal.net
You have a RIGHT to your opinion---even if it is crap.

[users@httpd] /etc/httpd/conf/ vs /usr/local/apache2/conf/

Posted by Eric Chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net>.
My apache is using /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. but I installed apache2 /usr/local/apache2/.

How can I make all related configuration dir to /use/local/apach2 ?

Thanks.

Eric Chen

Eric Chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net>

Re: [users@httpd] /etc/httpd/conf/ vs /usr/local/apache2/conf/

Posted by Xing guo Chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net>.
Thanks, I found out it is using /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. but I
installed apache2 /usr/local/apache2/.

How can I make all related configuration dir to /use/local/apache2 ?

Your help is appreciated..

Posted by "Individual . ." <in...@mi.cl>.