Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 20:03:23 UTC

svn dump and load not preserving all files

I am migrating my repository to a new server.  This requires that I
dump the original and the create a new repository on the new server
and use the svnadmin load command to import everything.  I have been
able to do this for a few of my repositories, but one in particular
isn't working.  The dump file for this repository is > 9 GB.  The load
command starts out, but never finishes.  The size of my repository
gets to 2.1 GB and then it seems to stop even though the svnadmin load
command is still running.  Eventually (> 24 hours) the command stops
(finishes) but the size of my repository is only 2.1 GB when it should
be around 9 GB.  Also, not all of the files have been restored.

Is there a limit in the size of a dump file that can be used?  I would
be surprised if that limit were around 9 GB.  I'm sure there are
repositories that are much larger than that.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: svn dump and load not preserving all files

Posted by David Brodbeck <br...@u.washington.edu>.
On Jan 19, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Thomas Loy wrote:

> UNIX has actual physical limits to file size determined by the number of bytes a 32 bit file pointer can index, about 2.4 GB. for older file systems or runtimes.

The OP said it was a Linux server, and it would have to be a *really* old version of Linux to have a 2.4 GB limit.  Kernel versions 2.4.x and later support large files, when paired with glibc 2.2.3 or later.  By my estimation, you'd have to be running a kernel at least nine years old to run into that issue.  I'm not going to say no one is running a system that obsolete, but if they are, they probably know it.

There *are* filesystems that still have that limit under Linux, but none of them are filesystems you're likely to host a repository on.  Examples would be VFAT and SMBFS.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics

RE: svn dump and load not preserving all files

Posted by Thomas Loy <Th...@cbeyond.net>.
UNIX has actual physical limits to file size determined by the number of bytes a 32 bit file pointer can index, about 2.4 GB. for older file systems or runtimes.

Depending on your system, you may or may not have large file support. Try

 man fopen64

if you have an older UNIX.

Cheers,

Tom Loy

Posted by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Loy <Th...@cbeyond.net> wrote:
>>> Which OS?  Some operating systems have file size limits of 4 GB or less.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tom Loy
>>>
>> The original OS was on a Mac, the new OS is some *nix server, probably
>> Linux.  I don't believe either of these have limitations as small as
>> 4GB.  Am I wrong?
>
> I doubt any OS has a limit like that.  What can have a limit is 32-bit
> integers for file size.  Typically if your SVN is compiled with APR
> 1.x then it supports files > 2 GB and if it is compiled with APR 0.9.x
> then it does not.
>
> I do not think this would be your problem anyway.  The dump file is
> streamed into svnadmin, so it does not see it as a 9GB file anyway.
> And for the repository itself, it would only manifest as a problem if
> you had a single revision that was 2 GB.  Given that it is a dump
> file, perhaps if a single file in the dump file was 2 GB it could be a
> problem since the size would too big for it to process.
>
> Remember the limit is for a single file in the filesystem.  For a
> repository, that usually means the revision file, which means you
> would need a revision this big.  The entire repository could still
> have a million revision that were 1.9 GB each and be fine.

I do have about 16 files that are each a few hundred MB in size, but
none (that I'm aware of) is over 1GB.  All of the large files were
originally committed in a single revision.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Loy <Th...@cbeyond.net> wrote:
>> Which OS?  Some operating systems have file size limits of 4 GB or less.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom Loy
>>
> The original OS was on a Mac, the new OS is some *nix server, probably
> Linux.  I don't believe either of these have limitations as small as
> 4GB.  Am I wrong?

I doubt any OS has a limit like that.  What can have a limit is 32-bit
integers for file size.  Typically if your SVN is compiled with APR
1.x then it supports files > 2 GB and if it is compiled with APR 0.9.x
then it does not.

I do not think this would be your problem anyway.  The dump file is
streamed into svnadmin, so it does not see it as a 9GB file anyway.
And for the repository itself, it would only manifest as a problem if
you had a single revision that was 2 GB.  Given that it is a dump
file, perhaps if a single file in the dump file was 2 GB it could be a
problem since the size would too big for it to process.

Remember the limit is for a single file in the filesystem.  For a
repository, that usually means the revision file, which means you
would need a revision this big.  The entire repository could still
have a million revision that were 1.9 GB each and be fine.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: svn dump and load not preserving all files

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 15:21, Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Loy <Th...@cbeyond.net> wrote:
>> Which OS?  Some operating systems have file size limits of 4 GB or less.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom Loy
>>
> The original OS was on a Mac, the new OS is some *nix server, probably
> Linux.  I don't believe either of these have limitations as small as
> 4GB.  Am I wrong?

Depends on what filesystem(s) you're using.

Posted by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Loy <Th...@cbeyond.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 19, 2010, at 15:08, Jeremy Conlin wrote:

> Disregard this message.  I just realized that my new server only has
> svn 1.4.2 while my original was using 1.6.  I'm sure that is the
> problem.  I feel stupid that I didn't check this earlier.

Either Subversion 1.4 or 1.6 can be compiled with either APR 0.9 or APR 1.x. It's probably more the APR version that's the problem, not the version of Subversion.

Re: svn dump and load not preserving all files

Posted by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Disregard this message.  I just realized that my new server only has
>> svn 1.4.2 while my original was using 1.6.  I'm sure that is the
>> problem.  I feel stupid that I didn't check this earlier.
>
> That should not be a problem in terms of moving a dump file between
> them.  1.4 might not have some features you want, but it should still
> load the file.

I installed svn 1.6.6 in my home directory on the remote server and
used it load the dump file and everything worked without any trouble.
So either the original 1.4.2 on the server was missing some compile
options or it was necessary to use 1.6.6.

Things seem to be looking up now.  Thanks everyone for their help.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Conlin <jl...@gmail.com>.