Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2011/02/21 16:01:09 UTC

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.5 (and DBIx::Class auto-generated code)

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Randolf Richardson <ra...@modperl.pl> wrote:
>        It's interesting to know that auto-generated code is a problem, and
> this is providing me with some insight into why some DBIx::Class
> users have been telling me that mod_perl (all versions) is so
> terrible (I didn't experience the problems they described, and your
> comment has shed some light on a possible reason).

The sort of trouble I've seen with auto-generated code has to do with
changing subs in ways that perl is unable to deal with without
restarting the interpreter.  For example, if you define a constant
(which is a sub with a prototype in perl), and then change it and try
to reload the module, you will have trouble.  If you change the
inheritance of a class, you may also have trouble.

These things would be exactly the same under FastCGI or any other Perl
environment.  The problem is that Perl can't really reload classes on
the fly, and tools that try to do it are simply deleting things from
the symbol table and loading the code again.  Sometimes this works and
sometimes it doesn't, and the trickier your code is, the more likely
it is to not work.

Take people's prejudices against mod_perl with a grain of salt.  There
are many misconceptions out there about mod_perl, but when you run it
in the recommended configuration (with a proxy server in front) there
is very little real difference from FastCGI and friends.

- Perrin