Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com> on 2015/02/14 03:40:52 UTC

Apache Way talks

Nick called my bluff on my review comment for his Apache Way talk proposal. I said we need to update these and so Nick asked for suggestions - damn him making me work for my comment ;-)

Here's what I was thinking when I wrote that comment...

For years we've rolled out the same "this is how apache works" session. We've talked about consensus building, PMCs, voting, board s and members. We've said our projects are independent. We've repeated the same governance content using the same slides we've been using for years. I pointed out in my comment that Nick hasn't even bothered to update the stats in his abstract (the lack of refreshed content is true of my own Apache Way slides, I'm not intending to pick on Nick).

There is value in these sessions, some people are completely new and we probably should still schedule them. However, I think we ought to do some new stuff along the lines of:

How is the ASF different from other foundations?
Why should I bring my project to Apache?
How can I get paid to work on Apache projects?
How do I build a business around apache software?
Why doesn't the ASF pay for software development?
Why, after 15 years, do people see the ASF as a desirable place to take software?
Why does the ASF have a reputation for bureaucracy amongst the younger GitHub crowd?
Just what rules are immutable in the ASF?

And much more...

Sent from my Windows Phone

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 2:38 PM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14 February 2015 at 20:03, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
> Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Louis, for independent data see
>> http://openlife.cc/blogs/2010/november/how-grow-your-open-source-project-10x-and-revenues-5x
>>
>> This isn't about the ASF but about foundations in general.
>>
> +1
>
> I for one, have been confused about some of the discussions lately, that
> have rattled my  fundamental beliefs in why I spent so many hours being ASF
>
> I strongly favor someone telling me (and a lot of others), what are the
> main differences between ASF and other equally good foundations.
>
> Sorry to say it loud, but sometimes I feel we (ASF) are trying to do what
> everybody want, instead of concentrating on what we are good at.
>
> I have a feeling that we are standing at a crossroad where  many questions
> like Directd funding, ApacheCON, entry ticket to ASF (Incubator/pTLP) tear
> us apart, and I believe it is high time the members of ASF take a stand
> (whatever it may be), and show we are ONE united in the APACHE WAY.

We are a large, diverse, group. We mostly agree on some principles,
but we often disagree on the details and on the practical application
of the principles. We love to type.

I don't think that there is a crossroads at all. Some questions are in
perpetual cometary orbit, like channeling dev funding. They come
around every so often and go away again. Some areas are a perpetual
topic of controversy, because they are really hard problems and people
have very strong opinions, like the incubation process. Your premise
is that there's an 'us' that was once 'together' that is at some risk
of 'tearing apart'. I think it's more accurate to write that, as the
membership and project inventory has grown and grown, the diversity of
opinion has, inevitably, grown with it. It will never by a few guys
(gender cited on purpose) with a completely clear common purpose. It's
now a wonderfully complex collection of people (and for all we know,
dogs) with a diverse set of views. Since one of its core principles is
to debate and decide on mailing lists, it will be noisy. I'll believe
that there's any real fission when I see a members meeting in which a
group of members has actually banded together and forced parliamentary
action under the bylaws, or even elected a board member who champions
any non-incremental change.

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> I agree Joe,
>
> We only have a very few immutable rules. Everything else is policy. As
> long as policy don't break those immutable rules the they can shift and
> change as much as they need to in order to empower individual project
> communities.
>
> Coincidentally I wrote a presentation on this very topic last night. I'll
> look to share it once it has been delivered, but too late for me to add
> to the CFP.

If this might be something for the community track, I think we can be
fungible on CfP deadline...

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

RE: Apache Way talks

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I didn't intend to say *all* rules are unnecessary. I said we have very few necessary rules.

I didn't intend to say policy *is* rule, I said it is interpreted as rule.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

RE: Apache Way talks

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

RE: Apache Way talks

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 14-02-2015, at 14:03, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Louis, for independent data see http://openlife.cc/blogs/2010/november/how-grow-your-open-source-project-10x-and-revenues-5x
>
> This isn't about the ASF but about foundations in general.
>
> Sent from my Windows Phone

Thanks Ross. I have not gone over the documents you cite; I used to use a different set, but that was then…./ Marking the value of community has always been difficult, as we all know. Especially when the need is to put it in terms that satisfy bean counters. (Even Santa Bitergia may not help us.)

louis

RE: Apache Way talks

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

RE: Apache Way talks

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Yes I was thinking one session for. Newbies who also want to go to technical sessions

Sent from my Windows Phone

Re: Apache Way talks

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.